Monday, August 23, 2004

As people who know me aware, one of the most enjoyable years of my life was the year I lived in Lockwood and served as editor of the Lockwood Luminary-Golden City Herald in 1979. I am still proud of the work I did at that newspaper. When I lived in Lockwood, I was able to listen to my work being read over the radio every Friday morning on the Greenfield radio station KRFG. An older gentleman (or at least he seemed like an older gentleman from the vantage point of a 23-year-old) would read my articles word for word leaving out only two things...my byline and the fact that the stories came from the Luminary-Herald. Stealing stories from newspapers was a tradition for radio stations at that time. It doesn't happen as often today because most radio stations have totally eliminated their news shows. But don't worry. The tradition lives on in local television. That was obvious to me this summer as I tuned in to Channel 16's noon newscast each day and listened to the Joplin Globe's stories being read. It was easy to tell which ones came from the Globe. First off, all you had to do was look at that morning's Globe. Plus, most of the time there was either no video footage or stock footage taken for an earlier story. It happened again last night and this morning on channels 12 and 16 (both of which are owned by the same company by the way). Both carried the story that O'Sullivan Industries' relocation of its corporate haadquarters from Lamar to Atlanta was likely caused by the company receiving more than a million dollars worth of tax breaks from the state of Georgia. It was a worthwhile story for the TV stations since Lamar is in their viewing area and O'Sullivan Industries is that city's major employer. No question the story deserved air time. The only problem is the TV stations did no original reporting. All they did was take the Globe story and run with it, without giving credit to the Globe. The news teams on Channel 12 and Channel 16 should be embarrassed and they should be ashamed of themselves. No one would think less of them if they gave credit where credit was due. Obviously, this story came from The Joplin Globe. (I would like to think they got it from The Turner Report, where it appeared first, but that doesn't appear to be likely.) Maybe it's time for the news directors at these stations to take a refresher course in ethics.

No comments: