Wednesday, June 15, 2005

Ambition steered Michigan city away from Rohr

Joplin City Manager Mark Rohr had his supporters when he applied for the vacant city manager job at Battle Creek, Mich., last year.
"Rohr cut an imposing figure during his interview with a deep voice and a hint of southern drawl, resembling more professional athlete than public servant," the Battle Creek Enquirer says in an article about the job performance of the man the city council selected, Battle Creek's long-time number two man Wayne Wiley.
"I don't think it's a secret that I thought Mark Rohr was the more dynamic of the two, the one who could command respect," Commissioner Mark Behnke told the Enquirer. "I was ready to vote in support of Mark Rohr because I thought he could think outside the box and help move Battle Creek along."
"I like Mr. Rohr," Mayor John Godfrey said during the city manager interviews on May 8, 2004, according to the Enquirer. "He is a dynamic young man and that's a concern for me. There is no reason we should expect to have him here for very long. I really don't want to go through (a city manager search) again."

No comments: