Wednesday, July 06, 2005

Lindsey Hamm takes Washington by storm

I just received a nice e-mail from Mary Hamm, whose daughter Lindsey, who will be a sophomore this fall at Joplin High School, is one of the best students I have ever been fortunate enough to have in my class. She sent a photo of Lindsey standing in front of the White House. Knowing just how determined Lindsey can be when she sets her mind to something, she may have just been checking out her future address.
She was in Washington June 11-16 after being selected to receive an all-expenses paid trip to attend the 16th annual National Leadership Conference at American University.
I have bragged about Lindsey before in this blog. She may be the best young writer I have worked with in six years of teaching and 14 years of running programs for young journalists when I was at The Carthage Press and The Lamar Democrat.
I will admit I was a bit worried about her recently when KOAM did a live interview with her at the opening of the new Star Wars movie and she was painted blue to be her favorite character Aayla Secura. (I wasn't really worried, but it was interesting, to say the least.)
Lindsey has definitely had a summer to remember and no one deserves it more.
***
If you are interested in reading more about Lindsey, an article and photo about her are featured on The Joplin Independent website, which can be found on the links section on this page.

No comments: