Sunday, August 14, 2005

Clarification on Globe comment: I did not post it

I was a bit surprised as I was glancing at The Joplin Globe's website to see the latest comments concerning Sen. Gary Nodler, his free movie tickets, and his theater meltdown (all of which can be read about in previous postings), to see one of the commenters listed as "Turner Report" and one of the comments from this blog reprinted.
I have no problem with someone using my comments as long as credit is given, but the way it was used in the Globe made it appear that I sent in the comment. I have never posted a comment on the Globe's website.
***
The free ticket story has already drawn 74 comments from Globe readers.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Randy, again, I was trying to find a way to give you proper credit that would be published as a comment by the Globe. I have been successful only once in giving The Turner Report credit openly in my comments when I borrowed from your excellence. I love your site and read it daily. Sometimes I think your profound treatment of the language is pluperfect. I guess I should refrain from using your stuff in comments. Sorry.

Randy said...

I had figured that was what happened, but I just wanted to make sure that people were aware that I was not trying to post my material on the Globe site. I was not offended, I just wanted to make sure that was understood. Thanks for the kind words. If The Joplin Globe would take a more mature attitude about blogs and other media, this problem would not even exist. As far as I can tell, the Globe is the largest daily in Missouri that has not acknowledged the existence of blogs, and with the exception of the blogs that the sorely-missed Dena Sloan did from the political conventions, it has never used staff-written blogs to its advantage. As I have noted numerous times, blogs such as this one, and Ron Davis' Chatter in Springfield, as well as message boards such as Neosho and Seneca Forums and Lamarmo.com have had a profound effect on the way people are receiving their information...and from what I have seen thus far, the effect has been to force the traditional media to cover stories that it has not touched in the past.

Anonymous said...

the real question is why is the globe not publishing ALL OF THE RESPONSES they have received to the "Nodler meltdown" article??
Their online site has been flooded with people outraged and I'm sure they've received an equal amount of letters in the mail, however in Sunday's paper only one letter to the editor concerning the "meltdown". It was from Gary Nodler. Are you kidding me? Since when has Edgar backed away from letting readers voice their outrage? A major surprise from the Globe and has many wondering, WHY?