Wednesday, August 10, 2005

Globe looking for someone passionate about headlines

I'm worried about The Joplin Globe.
Not only do they have a "News to Go' section on the back page of their A section, which tells you what stories are on page one. (I, for one, normally start reading the paper with page one, but I may just be old fashioned)
Now, the Globe is searching for a new copy editor and according to www.journalismjobs.com is looking for someone who is "passionate about headlines." Now I suppose that would make for more interesting reading, but I would sure hate to be stuck in an elevator with this person and have to make small talk.
The ad says, "The Joplin Globe, an award-winning newspaper in Southwest Missouri, is looking for a copy editor to join our staff. Applicants should possess exceptional grammar and spelling skills, as well as have a talent for writing headlines that sell the story. Contact: Gary Castor, design chief, at gcastor@joplinglobe.com "
Hopefully, the applicant who lands this position will realize that the ad that brought him or her to the Globe contains a grammatical error. The Joplin Globe should be looking for a copy editor to join "its" staff rather than "our" staff.
This is what happens when you let an English teacher write a blog. (I can't wait for the comments to start pouring in on my grammatical errors.)

No comments: