Thursday, August 04, 2005

Motivational guru hired at Nexstar station

Rick Rogala, a former general manager at WXIN/WTTV in Indianapolis, WFLA in Tampa, and WLWT in Cincinnati, is the new GM at Nexstar Broadcasting's KARK-TV in Little Rock. He will also oversee KFTA in Fort Smith/Fayetteville and KNWA in Rogers, Ark.
It's a smaller market that Rogala will be working in and he will be working without Nielsen ratings and Associated Press news, both of which have been trimmed as part of Nexstar's cost-cutting measures, so he will need all of the motivational knowhow he used during his last job as an "expert on success and achievement," at Rogala and Associates, according to his website, www.rickrogala.com
If you didn't know, and I sure didn't before I read this, Rogala developed "the trademarked FUEL (Focus, Urgency, Enthusiasm, and Leadership) system for achievement based upon his life experience, 22 years of success in business, and the philosophy of his father, Dr. Richard E. Rogala, a psychologist consultant to management and coach to captains of industry."
The younger Rogala's website takes us back to the root of his success, and I will admit that I after I read it I wondered if I had what it takes to be the general manager of a Nexstar station.

I will let you make the comparison and decide for yourself:
-When Rogala won first place in original oratory when he was in high school. I took fourth place in extemporaneous speaking and would have finished third if I hadn't helped Rhonda Trammell with her speech. (She finished third.)
-He was an Illinois state scholar and was in the National Honor Society. I turned down the National Honor Society at the end of my senior year. I turned down the National Honor Society, not wanting to be a part of any group that would have people like me as members.
-Rogala was editorial editor and circulation manager for an award-winning high school newspaper. I put out an underground newspaper when I was a freshman at East Newton High School, doing investigative reporting on an affair between an administrator and a teacher's wife. I received an in-school suspension.
-Rogala was awarded three dean's achievement scholarships at Ohio University. I made up a presentation about the United Mine Workers for one of Annetta St. Clair's political science classes at Missouri Southern State College and received an A. I thought she had caught on to me when she said she wanted to ask me a question after my presentation, but fortunately she asked the only question to which I knew the answer.
-Rogala was named most improved, most spirited and received most valuable player awards and trophies in the sports of football and baseball. I, too, had multiple experiences in promoting school and athletic spirit. I received a stern look from Dr. Leon Billingsley, MSSC president, one time when I took a tool kit and crawled under the bell in front of the student union, played around beneath it for a few minutes, then climbed out, exclaiming, "It's fixed." And while playing men's baseball for the late, lamented Aroma Express (named after the small village near Granby, not the smell), I once stole second during a benefit game. Nothing unusual about that, except I was on third when the play began. I then stole third on the next pitch, and scored when the catcher threw the ball into left field.
One place where Rogala has it over me hands down is number of jobs. In the past 24 years, according to the extensive resume on his website, he has worked at 10 places. I am afraid I have only racked up four during that time.
I suppose he is a better choice to be a Nexstar official.
-
-

No comments: