Saturday, February 04, 2006

Drug testing of all students being explored

Regular readers of this blog know that I am a staunch opponent of drug testing students. Many school districts in this area, including my employer, the Joplin R-8 School District, have drug testing policies in place for students who participate in extracurricular activities.
I am extremely sympathetic with school officials' desire to do something about the growing drug problem in our society, though I am skeptical that this method will work, and will I have big problems with violating someone's privacy without probable cause.
It appears that some schools are looking toward testing all students, not just the ones who in sports, clubs, drama, or other outside activities. The issue was explored today in an Associated Press article.

No comments: