Sunday, March 05, 2006

Lawmakers' quotes are a definite plus

The advantages of the Joplin Globe's decision to have a reporter working state issues was readily apparent from the March 2 edition when Sadie Gurman put our local legislators on record about gifts they receive from lobbyists.
Consider some of the statements, the talented Ms. Gurman elicited from our legislators:
-Rep. Bryan Stevenson, R-Webb City- "I really don't care who buys the sandwich It's not going to change the way I vote."
-Rep. Marilyn Ruestman, R-Joplin- "It certainly is nice to have a pizza, but it isn't what's going to make or break any of the caucuses I'm in."
-Sen. Gary Nodler, R-Joplin- "People think these lobbyists are somehow giving gifts and providing benefits for lawmakers, and that simply isn't the case. If you simply eliminate the practice, it clears up the question."
These quotes are the same ones that have been used by politicians on both sides of the aisle since lobbyists began haunting the doors of state legislatures. Sen. Nodler says if the practice is eliminated, the question is cleared up. Perhaps Sen. Nodler should take the lead, and refuse to accept gifts or campaign contributions from lobbyists.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Get off my case about this. I just found a guy who'd get me weekday movie passes in a place where they don't allow cripples. Give me a break!