Monday, June 26, 2006

Champion plans to steer clear of reform


Sen. Norma Champion, R-Springfield, wasn't in the loop as far as a delayed Republican plan to reform how license fee offices are awarded in Missouri is concerned, she told KY3 Sunday.
Apparently, she plans to steer clear or anything that smacks of reform, since that is the campaign platform of her opponent, former Rep. Doug Harpool, D-Springfield.
According to the KY3 blog:

Meanwhile, when asked for her opinion on reforming the way fee offices are run, Sen. Norma Champion said she couldn't comment on something she didn't know about.

"I didn't know there was a flyaround," Champion said. "You're catching me on something I've not been a part of."

"I don't have a plan," Champion added. "That's fine if he has a plan but I don't have a plan to do that."

When I requested an on-camera interview for a story I plan to air Monday night on KY3 News at 10, Champion replied, "No thank-you. I'm not going to let him (Harpool) define the agenda."


Of course, the reforms being mentioned, although Harpool has said virtually the same thing, were going to be offered by Republican representatives, until the governor asked them to delay the announcement so he could have some input.

This reminds me of the line from the great 1960 movie and famed play, "Inherit the Wind," when Matthew Harrison Brady, played by Fredric March said, "I do not think about things...that I do not think about."
To which his opposing attorney, Henry Drummond, played by Spencer Tracy responded, "Do you ever think about things that you do think about?"

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

At least the Senator was not incovenienced by the debate on fee agent reform which occurred in the Missouri Senate last legislative session. Apparantly the debate not only failed to inform or persuade her .... she didn't even notice it.

She is quite a dynamic Senator for the states third largest city to send to Jefferson City.