Wednesday, July 12, 2006

Joplin Daily provides in-depth coverage of little-known problem

You won't see it in the Joplin Globe, you won't see it in the Neosho Daily News, and you won't see it in The Carthage Press, even if I was still the one in charge there.
The only place you will see the headline is on the Joplin Daily website. It says:
"Public meeting on pubic safety"
Though I was unaware pubic safety was a problem, apparently Joplin city officials think it is, since they have formed a task force to study the situation, according to the Daily.
The website quotes task force chairman Keenan Cortez as saying, "I'm ready to hear what people think," and indicates he is excited about the meeting.
I'll just bet he is.
(Note: The error on the Joplin Daily website has been corrected.)

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

In my opinion the Daily has really fallen recently. The Sunday edition is soft, and I don't worry about missing anything important by not picking it up. They consistenly run page one stories that are not page one material, and bury real news like Cat Johnson losing part of the land at his car lot in the middle of the print edition. If only the Globe were any better...

Anonymous said...

When the Daily first started, I recieved the newspaper in my front yard every Sunday morning. I always enjoyed reading it. For the past 2 weeks, NO ONE in my nighborhood is receiving this newspaper any more. WHAT HAPPENED? Why did the Sunday circulation stop? Is the Daily on it's way out the door?

Anonymous said...

I thought they pubic safety was taught in junior high health classes.

Anonymous said...

I've been a fan of Joplin Daily since the beginning, but I have to admit that the past few Sunday issues have been real snoozers. And, even worse, the Joplin Globe is kicking the Daily's butt all over town. I don't even bother with the online edition, because there's usually nothing there of interest. Is it just a coincidence that the Daily's slide started with the change in publishers?

Anonymous said...

The Daily just ran a feature in a recent Sunday edition on traveling to northwest Arkansas. If I pick up a paper with the motto, "All Joplin, All the Time," then I don't want to read about traveling to northwest Arkansas. Who's idea was it to do this story?

Anonymous said...

Even worse, the NW Arkansas feature was the LEAD story in the paper and covered half the front page. If that's front page news, Randy Turner is Matt Drudge. Mr. John Hacker, you got some 'splaining to do. Wake up!

Anonymous said...

well, obviously, people in Joplin don't travel, and stay their entire lives within the city limits of Joplin.


If "Down on the Daily" had bothered to read the editor's note included within the story, they might have noticed that the arkansas story is part of a series of local and regional travel/summer entertainment stories the daily is running to give people ideas of how to spend their free time, even with the high gas prices.

Oh well, I guess "Down on the Daily" is ready to live the rest of their lives without leaving Joplin.
Hum.