Friday, July 28, 2006

Turner Report reaches 3,000 posts

This post marks number 3,000 for The Turner Report. Thanks to those of you who have been reading this blog from the first few posts and to all of those who joined along the way.
It was only about 18 months ago, that the blog averaged between 35 and 50 readers a day. Thanks to all of you spreading the word, we now have many days when more than 500 readers check in.
If you like what you read, keep spreading the word. If you can't stand The Turner Report, tell your friends you hate it, and maybe they'll stop by to see what the problem is.
The blog started in earnest in late 2004 when I told my eighth grade communication arts students at South Middle School in Joplin that if I were going to require them to write every day (and I do) that I would do the same.
At first, I did not know exactly what to write and it took awhile for the blog to develop into what it is now (which may be good or bad depending on your viewpoint).
These are the things I try to put into The Turner Report:
-News and information that may not be available from other news sources
-My observations on events in the news, based on my experiences as a reporter and a teacher. (I have noticed that every time my viewpoint is at odds with a few readers, they begin to talk about what a terrible reporter I am. This blog has always been news and commentary and the readers are smart enough to know which is which.)
-Information and commentary about the print and broadcast media in southwest Missouri
-Information mined from public documents. Despite the fact that records are far more easily accessible than they were during the years I was a member of the working press, they still are woefully underused by the traditional media.
-Links to articles that interest me and which I feel will be of interest to you.
-Coverage of Missouri politics, centering on those who represent us in Jefferson City and in Washington.
-Anything else that I want to write about.
As always, anyone with information or tips for The Turner Report can e-mail me at rturner229@hotmail.com.
Thanks again for your support.

4 comments:

Duane k said...

Congrats!

Anonymous said...

Way to go Randy!!! I really enjoy your posts!

admin said...

People love to sling nasty terms about when they simply disagree with one's opinions. Fish wrap, yellow journalism, blah, blah, blah.

I'm glad you do what you do and I think you do a dandy job at it. Journalism, for those of us who have practiced it, is a tough, thankless job.

I'll stick to my personal ramblings and let you work on the hard news journalism.

3,000 posts and up to 500 hits per day! That is cool.

Anonymous said...

Kudos to you Randy. For a lot of folks, you're a must-read. Some even say you're a first-read.

Often, journalists hear 10 times more complaints than compliments about their work. You do a helluva job, RT. Keep up the good work, and I'll keep on readin'!