Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Globe offers more information on Newton County minister's protection order hearing

Today's Joplin Globe offers more information on the hearing in McDonald County Circuit Court in which a protection order against George Otis Johnston, pastor of the Grandview Valley Baptist Church North, was extended until a hearing can be held Sept. 18.
Reporter Derek Spellman, who has been covering the McDonald County developments in the charges of ritual sex with minors brought against leaders in the Grand Valley Independent Baptist Church and Johnston, provided details from the hearing and from the probable cause affidavit filed with the court.

In the application for the ex parte order, the girl alleged that Johnston "called my cell phone (and) made threats to dig up things on me to make me look bad after I refused to come back to the church. During my time at the church he has hit me in (the) face and sexually assaulted (me)."

Johnston was charged last week with seven counts of first-degree statutory sodomy and one count of second-degree statutory sodomy after the girl accused him of abuse dating to when she was 8 years old.


Johnston's arraignment is scheduled for Wednesday in Newton County Circuit Court.

No comments: