Monday, August 07, 2006

Neosho Daily to stop running political columns

The Neosho Daily News will not run columns by elected officials between the time of Tuesday's primary and the November general election, according to a statement in Rep. Kevin Wilson's column in today's edition.

If you are reading this report in the Neosho Daily News, it will be the last one you will read in this paper until after the general election in November. The newspaper has decided that since the legislators in the Neosho area all have general opposition that it will not print our columns until after the election in November. I respect that decision and thank them for running the columns on a regular basis. I do regret that I will not be able to have this means of communication with you for the next few weeks but if you would like to get my report electronically please send an email to the address at the bottom of the column and I will put you on my email list.


Congratulations to the Daily for taking this stance. While I am perfectly willing to give the legislators the benefit of the doubt and take these columns as a method of keeping their constituents informed, it too often amounts to free advertising for the elected officials and puts their challengers at a disadvantage.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Don't worry, the Joplin Daily - "All Joplin All the Time" - carries McDonald/Newton County Rep. Ruestman's "column". So you can get your fix of local GOP BS, I mean PR, there.
I heard the Joplin Daily was just a mouthpiece for the Chamber of Commerce - do you know if that's true?

Randy said...

No, but I do remember the episode of the old "Get Smart" television series where Maxwell Smart and Agent 99 were searching for the Tequila Mockingbird so your name brought back a pleasant memory.