Sunday, August 20, 2006

One more note on the death of Tom Murray

I did not intend to write any more about the Joplin Globe's disgraceful coverage (or lack thereof) of the death of its former editor Tom Murray. If you recall, not only did the Globe not mention it on page one, it did not even afford it a separate article. Mr. Murray received only the brief death notice and the paid obituary.

I hit that pretty hard in my earlier posts, but a visit to the Joplin Public Library Saturday uncovered something that irritated me even more. As I glanced through the most recent edition of the weekly Joplin Business Journal, the publication Mr. Murray was editor of at the time of his death, I noticed that included in its coverage was a story submitted by Joplin Globe reporters Wally Kennedy and Susan Redden in which they offered personal reminiscences of their former boss.

That was the kind of personal coverage that should have been in the Globe. Mr. Murray deserved it, but even more importantly, the Globe's readers deserved it.

No comments: