Wednesday, August 16, 2006

School starts today

In a short while the sounds of students will once again fill the halls at South Middle School, and I have to admit I have been ready for this for the past few weeks. It has been a productive summer. In addition to working on this blog, I was able to finish my second novel, "Devil's Messenger," play some gigs with "Natural Disaster," catch up on some reading and, of course, keep up with the St. Louis Cardinals.
Even with those things to keep me occupied, as the month of July came to a close, I was ready to get back into the classroom. I am one of the lucky few who have been fortunate enough to always have jobs that I loved.
During my 22 years as a reporter and editor, I couldn't wait to get to the office each day. Well, let me correct that- I couldn't wait to get to the office, and then get out on the streets and cover whatever new story was in the news.
Since my entry into the world of education in 1999, I can't recall a day when I wasn't eager to come to work.
Each school year presents new students, new challenges, new chances to succeed. And, as usual, I am sure I will learn just as much from my eighth graders as they learn from me. That's what education is all about.
Best of luck to all of the teachers, students, and school personnel.
***
The blogging schedule has been a bit sporadic the past two days. In addition to returning to work Monday, we had an open house at South Monday night, and then last night was "Natural Disaster" practice. Hopefully, things are back to normal. The blog will continue and I will make every effort to have daily posts. After all, The Turner Report really took off when I promised my students two years ago that if they had to write every day (and that is a requirement in my communication arts classes), then I would write every day, too.
Except for an occasional day or two off (the students get them too, they're called weekends), I plan on keeping that promise.

No comments: