Friday, September 01, 2006

Memories of the Neosho Piggly Wiggly


The title for this post is a bit misleading.
I really don't have many memories of the old Piggly Wiggly grocery store in Neosho, except that my mom took my sisters and me there (and to MFA and IGA) every Saturday while I was in elementary school.
And, of course, how could you forget that name? Piggly Wiggly, like Dog N Suds, the Corral (where we would have a milk shake and cheeseburger each week as a treat) and the bookstore on the square were the highlights of each Saturday's trip.
Piggly Wiggly stores still exist, but probably not for much longer. Today's Dallas Morning News features an article about the closing of one of the last Piggy Wigglys.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nothing like going hogging, aye Randy?

Lee Ann Sontheimer Murphy said...

Although the number of Piggly Wiggly stores on the Texas horizon may be fast fading, they're still alive and well in much of the deep south where going to the Pig for groceries is still a tradition! On my many trips southward, we often buy various items at Piggly Wiggly stores but like you, I miss the trappings of "the good old days". I still think the Corral had the best burgers I've ever tasted in Neosho!

Anonymous said...

I loved the Piggly Wiggly! Would go there with my parents on Saturdays and we would get those little ham sandwiches (a thin piece of ham on soft white bread) that cost, I believe, a dime. We lived pretty far out of town so we would eat them, chips and drink a can of soda on the way home. I loved the memory...thanks.
My daughter wanted to go to one when we were in Harrisonville, MO a few years ago and still has the brown paper bag that she thought was so cute. (Just a pig on a brown bag to me)

Anonymous said...

I remember when we called Dog & Suds Arf and Barf. I remember going there to get the root beer, too, but hated the hamburgers that always tasted like charcoal to me! Corral rocked though! They made their strawberry shakes with fresh strawberries and to this day I would say that is one of the better places I ever had a shake from. Oh the memories.