Friday, October 06, 2006

Springfield soldier's letter to wife immortalized in song

A letter written by a Springfield soldier who was killed in Iraq has been immortalized in song, according to an article in the Montpelier, Vt. newspaper:

Pfc. Jesse Givens of Springfield, Mo., was killed in Iraq on May 1, 2003, when his tank crashed into the Euphrates River. Less than two weeks earlier, he had written a letter to his pregnant wife, unborn son (nicknamed Bean) and 6-year-old stepson (called Toad), to be opened only in the event of his death. Excerpts read:

My family. I never thought I would be writing a letter like this. I really don't know where to start, but I've been getting bad feelings. … (Melissa), I married you for my lifetime and that's how long I'll be with you. Please keep our babies safe and please find it in your heart to forgive me for leaving you alone. Teach our babies to live life to the fullest and tell yourself to do the same. I will always want you, need you and love you in my heart, my mind and my soul. Do me a favor, after you tuck Toad and Bean in, give them hugs and kisses for me. Go outside and look at the stars and count them. Don't forget to smile. Love always, your husband Jess.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Although Jesse's wife and kids were living outside of Missouri at the time of his death. Jesse's parents and grandparents live in Columbia. His father grew up in Neosho and his grandparents lived in Neosho and Joplin for many years. Jesse spent his high school years in Joplin. So how does all of that make him a Springfield person? In any event his words and life are worth remembering.

Randy said...

I can't answer your question. That was what the article said and I thought it was an article that would interest the readership.

Anonymous said...

The Dept. of Defense officially lists Givens hometown as Springfield.

Legacy.com also notes Pfc. Givens was a 1987 graduate of Glendale High School in Springfield.

A Google search results in most reports about Givens listing his hometown as Springfield.