Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Remembering a classmate


I have always hated the fact that my high school graduating class, the Class of 1974 at East Newton High School, does not have regular reunions; in fact, it does not have reunions at all.
We didn't meet to celebrate our 30-year anniversary or our 20-year anniversary. A 10-year reunion was held, but I missed it. I planned my entire vacation around it, but I got the week wrong and once I discovered the error, the reunion had already been held.
Since that time a few members of the Class of 1974 have died, including the class president, Terry Shepherd, founder of MidAmerica Hardwoods. A few moments ago, I read about the death of another member of that class, Patty Renfro. The following information was included in the obituary in today's Joplin Globe:

Patty A. Renfro

WEBB CITY, Mo. — Patty A. Renfro, 50, passed away on Monday, Jan. 15, 2007, at 4:05 p.m. at Freeman West Hospital in Joplin. She was a homemaker and a member of the College View Baptist Church.

Patty was born on Oct. 12, 1956, in Stella, Mo., to Fred Renfro and Billie English Renfro. Patty was a loving mother, grandmother and sister who will be missed by all who met her.

She is survived by her son, James Renfro and wife, Amy, of Webb City; daughter, Cassie Sofia and husband, Eric, of Joplin; granddaughter, Tommi Jo Sofia, of Joplin; grandson, Brock Renfro, of Webb City; mother, Billie Moffett and husband, Fred, of Joplin; sisters, Tonia Moffett and husband, Don, of Granby, and Mary Lou Messner and husband, Tom, of Joplin; along with numerous nieces and nephews.

Funeral services will be held on Thursday at 1 p.m. in the chapel of Simpson Funeral Home in Webb City. The family will be present on Thursday from 12 to 1 p.m. at the funeral home for a visitation. An open visitation will be on Wednesday from 12 to 5 p.m. at the funeral home. Burial will be in Granby Cemetery.

***

I have no idea if Patty attended that 10-year reunion; I have not seen her since the day we walked across the football field at what it now Don Johnston Stadium at East Newton High School and received our diplomas.
In fact, I have very few memories of Patty at all, and they are all concentrated in a about a two-week period during the spring of 1974...the last time I wore makeup.
It was the annual East Newton High School Drama Department play. After two years of outstanding productions under Janice Matthews; Mrs. Matthews was teaching at Springfield Kickapoo and the new drama teacher was primarily the wrestling coach and assistant football coach.
I don't remember the play, "The Mouse That Roared," with much fondness, but the experience was a memorable one. The cast bonded, we all get along, and put on a good show, despite our lack of guidance from the teacher, primarily because we learned so much from Mrs. Matthews the previous two years.
Most of the cast members put on their own makeup and did so skillfully, at least as skillfully as high school actors and actresses can. I was the exception. "The Mouse That Roared" would have turned into a horror show had I been allowed to continue applying makeup. And since I had the lead role, there would be no way to hide me.
That's where Patty Renfro stepped in. For two weeks, she became my personal makeup assistant, always patient, very good at what she did, and miracle of miracles, making me look presentable.
We talked quite a bit during those two weeks...and never again in the next 32 years.
It is easy to lose track of your high school classmates. It happens to everyone. You never think it will when you are that age, but it does. Still, when I heard of Patty Renfro's death, I was saddened, and sorry we never had a chance to catch up, but happy that I do have those fond memories.

(Photo: Patty Renfro succeeds at the impossible task of making my face look better during the 1974 East Newton High School production of "The Mouse That Roared." Also shown is drama teacher Stan Howe.)

No comments: