Saturday, January 27, 2007

Richard favors plan to forgive five missed school days


Rep. Ron Richard, R-Joplin, told Missouri Southern State University's newspaper The Chart that he favors the bill proposed by Rep. B. J. Marsh, R-Springfield, to forgive five school days missed during the recent ice storm:

"I support it," Rep. Ron Richard (R-Joplin) told The Chart Thursday. "In case of an emergency, like the forces of nature we are facing right now, a proposal like this is necessary. I suspect there's only so many days you can make up, and when you don't have electricity in the school building you can't bring the kids in so you have to deal with what you've got."
Richard also said citizens would likely appreciate such a bill.
"I think most of the locals of southwest Missouri think it's a great idea," he said.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Are you against this, Randy?

Randy said...

No, not at all. I'm writing about it because I have noticed a considerable amount of interest in the subject among some of my readers.

Anonymous said...

Is there a date or deadline as to when this will be decided on?

Anonymous said...

Missing school. What a travesity. In Kansas we went 180 days. Make the days up, even if it is on a Saturday or else the school system owes the taxpayers back the money paid to the teachers and administrators. Give me a break. The kids I have seen cannot afford to miss even one day let alone 5. Thanks.