Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Lamar native's battle against cancer recounted in Star article

Lamar native Andrea Martin's battle against breast cancer is chronicled in today's Kansas City Star:

For four years, Andrea Martin has walked in the Olathe Relay for Life, a fundraiser and awareness event for cancer research.

But this year she walked as a survivor.

Martin, 35, was diagnosed in September 2006 with an aggressive form of breast cancer. She had a bi-lateral mastectomy, which involved removing both of her breasts. She also underwent 16 weeks of chemotherapy and reconstructive surgery. In all, she had a total of five surgeries in the past year.

“If you had told me a year ago I would be walking as a survivor, I wouldn't have believed it,” she said. “But here I am.”

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I would not have known who Andrea Martin was without the picture! Thanks for sharing the story!