Friday, June 29, 2007

Lamar website chronicling final days at O'Sullivan Industries


The workforce at the O'Sullivan Industries plant in Lamar is down to a few dozen now, according to the Lamar Chat message board on Lamarmo.com. (A link to the site is featured on the right-hand side of this page.)

Having a site like Lamar Chat has been one way of helping people deal with a horrible situation. In just a few short years, a plant that at one time employed more than 1,200 now appears to be down to two digits.

Among the posts on the message board:

"My hubby is still there, he is the last computer programmer they have now."


And this one, posted just a little over three hours ago:

"All of maintenance but 5 people just got their walking papers."


From the sounds of the posts on the message board, Lamar residents are not just rolling over and crying about the loss, but plan to fight to keep things going. Oldtimers remember that when the LawnBoy plant closed in the mid-60s, Tom O'Sullivan came to town and built something even better. The Tom O'Sullivans of this world are few and far between, as the Newell Rubbermaid Mafia that succeeded the O'Sullivan clan at the company's helm found out, but here's hoping that history repeats itself and another major employer will find its way to Lamar.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lamarmo.com = One sided, big brother monitored, septic tank.

Anonymous said...

Lamarmo.com not a good source of info. What they do offer is a hostile place where you better agree with BIG FAT JOE or he knocks ya off. Doesn't want an honest debate just wants a bunch of suck asses that tell him he is great and wonderful. But glad to hear someone is reporting on the O'Sullivan situation Lamar Demograb has been very silent on the matter.

Anonymous said...

Gee, could that be you Tim, who I kicked off my board for calling us all jackasses and telling us to **ck off? I guess you take back your apology e-mail you sent me the next morning. What was the words you used? "I was hitting the sauce pretty hard and got all wound up over nothing. I feel bad about it and am pretty embarrased at myself, not to mention hungover. I was in a bad mood to begin with over the plant closing and got carried away."

Anonymous said...

To be fair, Joe pretty much lets me do whatever I want.

Anonymous said...

Joe is a wonderful peron and LamarMO isnt as bad as you people think it is! Maybe your just mad because you got kicked out for not acting your age.

Anonymous said...

lamarchat is a great thing, just as The Turner Report is. It's too bad little Timmy got his panties in a wad and had to get the boot. Also sounds like he might be hitting the sauce again! Thanks Joe and Randy for allowing sites such as these.

Anonymous said...

I read the Turner Report about twice a week. I had to laugh when I seen someone blowing about lamarchat and Joe.

I have been kicked off the lamarchat more than once. And most of it was my own doing. I do not know JOE personally but he takes a lot of crap. Mine included. My problem was being to out spoken.

I think the people who are still on lamarchat as well as other chat boards are greatful for a place to air how they feel. You don't agree then you have got to deal with it. I was blasted a number of times. And I blasted a number of times. Joe has given them a place to do this.
Susan Ogle

Anonymous said...

Let me add just one more thing. Chat rooms and blogs are great. But they can also be a headache for the administrator. You want to create a place where people can come and speak their mind and at the same time have a friendly place to be. I have banned many members for disrupting this "flow". But a lot of those were let back in. Sometimes things get out of hand like the Jasper crisis we went through last year. That is when I have to step in as the owner to do something. Some people do not like that and accuse me of being a dictator, but I have to keep the board a non-hostile place to be.

Regardless of what people think, most chat boards and blogs are not public utilities; they do not have the right to be there, unless it is a paysite. You may have the right to enter but staying is something you have to earn.

LamarChat is going on it's 5th year and on it's way to 4 million hits. I believe is a great place for up to the minute local information. We have broken many stories just minutes after they have happened and days before the local media gets a hold of them. I try not to let the few spoil it for the many. Thanks Randy.

Anonymous said...

"You may have the right to enter but staying is something you have to earn..."

In other words Joe in a big fun sugar loving kid and Lamarmo.com is His candy store.

BC

Anonymous said...

Good luck to all from the big O. This is a really sad thing.

As for Lamarmo, yes there are times when people get a little out of hand, but overall it is a good site. And like Joe said, there are many times when news breaks there first, and usually with pretty good accuracy.

If people don't like chat rooms, they don't have to go there. And if you don't like the way things are handled, well, just start your own.