Thursday, August 02, 2007

Rod Smith: "I don't know" if career is over


Signs are increasing that the all-pro career of former Missouri Southern State University standout Rod Smith of the Denver Broncos may be coming to an end, though he intends to keep working toward a return. In an article in today's Denver Post, while Broncos coaches say they are willing to wait as long as necessary for Smith's return, Smith says it may be the end of the line:

When Smith was asked specifically if his career could be over, the Broncos' all-time leading receiver said, "I don't know."
But this is clear: Smith will try to play again, and the Broncos will give him the time to heal. Smith, 37, had hip surgery in February. He had hoped to be ready for training camp. Shanahan recently said he hoped Smith would be ready for the third preseason game, Aug. 25 against visiting Cleveland.

"All I can do is go and work hard to get back," Smith said. "No one is going to put more pressure on myself to get back on the field than me. I have felt that way my entire career.

"I don't like to brag, but this is what I do and I think I do it pretty well, so I am going to try to get back on the field as soon as a I can. If I can't, I'll know when it's time, but until then I am going to continue to work."

No comments: