Sunday, January 20, 2008

Blogger examines Roe's alleged libelous post

In a post today, blogger Rick Fischer of Wake Up Call traces the source of Jeff Roe's allegedly libelous post in the Aug. 4, 2006, Source.
That post talked about St. Charles County Commissioner Joe Brazil's involvement in the accidental death of a high school friend, alleging alcohol was involved, though the police and all of the others who were present, including Fischer, says Brazil did not have anything to drink.
The post has been removed from The Source, but information from it can be found in the Jan. 15 Turner Report.
Fischer connects the attacks on Brazil to confederates of Gov. Matt Blunt and the alleged libel to a source surprisingly close to Sixth District Congressman Sam Graves:

One thing that I was curious about was how Roe had come across the Darwin story since it did not mention Joe by name. As I read about Roe on the Internet I learned of his (lack of) character and ethics and I found the connection. One of our classmates and friends in 1982 was Leslie Hickock. While I had not seen Leslie in years, I remembered seeing her at a class reunion (I think our 20th in 2002) when she proudly introduced me to her husband, United States Congressman Sam Graves. Of course, I now know of the connection between Graves and Roe and I am sure Roe talked to Leslie about the accident. (In fact, he refers to a conversation he had with a close friend about the incident in one of the stories written about his post.)

While I am not sure if Leslie was there the night of the accident I am sure she was not with us prior to the accident or when it occurred. . Therefore, I am left with this question, did Leslie simply tell Roe about the incident and he took it from there or did Leslie lead Roe to believe Joe was drinking? Either way Leslie has an obligation to set the record straight, a chance I am sure she will get in the libel case.

No comments: