Sunday, March 02, 2008

Blaney retiring as Neosho High School principal

Chuck Blaney, who has been principal at Neosho High School for the past four years, is retiring at the end of the current school year, according to an article in the Neosho Daily News.
Blaney was the head football coach at Lamar High School when I was sports editor of the Lamar Democrat (a daily newspaper at that time) in 1978 and later was principal at Lamar High School for more than a decade.

When my position at the Democrat ended in December 1978 due to budget cutbacks, it was Blaney who took the time to talk to me about going back to college and getting my teaching degree, something I had almost completed until I got sidetracked by the Democrat position.

I didn't take that advice immediately, since it was only a few days before Democrat Publisher Dennis Garrison called me and asked me to return to the company as the editor of the Lockwood Luminary-Golden City Herald, but when that newspaper closed 10 months later, I returned to MSSC to get my degree, a decision I have never regretted.

I wish Chuck Blaney luck in whatever he decides to do next.

No comments: