Friday, April 04, 2008

Missourinet takes another shot at bloggers

Apparently, Missourinet contempt for bloggers who are not part of the mainstream media is not limited to its own blogger, Steve Walsh.
Walsh's blog today was handed over to Steve Mays, who works for Missourinet parent Learfield Communications' division, Learfield Interaction. Mays offered an informative interview with Sen. Charlie Shields about the use of technology in the Missouri Senate.
Somehow, Mays could not resist taking a swipe at bloggers who are not part of the mainstream media:

I asked if any bloggers had requested permission to cover the senate. He said not to his knowledge. I wasn't entirely clear on his answer to the question, would bloggers be allowed to cover the proceedings. I think both the House and Senate make a pretty clear distinction between the "real" media and bloggers.


I am fascinated by this disdain Mays and Walsh, and perhaps others at Missourinet are showing for bloggers who are not connected to traditional news outlets. After all, it was not that long ago that Missourinet was the new kid on the block.

I will repeat the response I gave when Walsh took his first shot at bloggers two days ago- Let the readers decide whose information has value. Some bloggers...just like some newspapers and some TV news programs...will be abandoned by readers once their information proves to be unreliable. Others will turn out to be just as reliable as those in what Mays refers to as the "real" media.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

We all know that he was talking about you not being "real" media. Hell, you weren't "real" when you worked in the "real media".

Branson Missouri said...

I think this is really about maintaining control.

I've been blocked from covering the courts because the corporate network that I have to ask permission to take photos doesn't want to grant permission ....

As a result, when I file under Supreme Court Rule 16, my requests are ignored