Saturday, May 10, 2008

Carthage Press continues tradition

Nearly everything has changed at The Carthage Press since the days when I was the managing editor of that publication, but thankfully, one that hasn't is the Senior Spotlight.
Though that name is no longer used, the format is still the same. Starting in the early 1990s, I pitched the idea of running feature profiles of each member of the top 10 of the graduating class of Carthage Senior High School. I thought it was a way to give recognition to students whose accomplishments are not often recognized, especially those who do not reach the rank of valedictorian or salutatorian.
The profiles usually began about two weeks before the graduation, beginning with a profile of number 10, followed by daily features until the story on the valedictorian ran just before commencement.
I continued to write those features until my time at The Press ended in 1999 and the tradition has continued since. I was concerned that it might be sacrificed this year with The Press being so shorthanded.

Editor Buzz Ball began the profiles with this one on the number 10 student. Other profiles will be posted on The Press' website.

No comments: