Friday, January 02, 2009

News-Leader: RIchard will work with Nixon on jobs

Incoming Speaker of the House Ron Richard, R-Joplin, tells the Springfield News-Leader's Chad Livengood he will work with Governor-elect Jay Nixon on bringing jobs to Missouri:

Their first encounter came on Nov. 6, two days after Nixon sailed to victory over Republican Kenny Hulshof in the general election.

The second time came a few weeks ago in Branson at the office of Silver Dollar City owner Peter Herschend, Richard said.

At the latter meeting, Nixon showed Richard a preview of his five-point Show-Me Jobs plan, which included expanding the Missouri Quality Jobs Act, a tax credit program Richard got passed a few years ago.

"I said, 'you're not going to have a problem with me,'" Richard recalls telling Nixon. "I said, 'I'm not going to be backbiting you and calling you names. I just don't deal like that. I'm going to do what's best for the state of Missouri. I assume you are too.'"

Near the end of the conversation, Richard said he told Nixon: "As far as I'm concerned, the 80 percent we agree on, I'll be your best friend."

No comments: