Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Message to Dave Pylant: Learn how to pronounce baseball players' names

During the two decades in which I covered area high school sports, nothing bothered me more than announcers who did not take a few moments to ask visiting coaches how to pronounce the names of players. Names are important to people and I winced each time I heard one of those names mangled.

Spending just a brief amount of time getting the proper pronunciations seemed to be a matter of simple courtesy, as well as a method of making sure the job was done correctly.

I have been reminded of those times in recent days as I have watched KOAM's Dave Pylant mangle the names of St. Louis Cardinals and Kansas City Royals during recent days. Since part of his job every day is showing highlights for the Cardinals' and Royals' games, it makes sense that he should learn to pronounce the name.

I have listened to his repeated mispronunciation of Cardinal second baseman Skip Schumacher's name for weeks, but Pylant outdid himself a few moments ago.

Not only did he once again mispronounce Schumacher's name, but he mispronounced the name of Cardinal outfield Nick Stavinoha and even the name of Kansas City Royals' ace Zach Greinke, who is the early favorite for the Cy Young Award.

I have always enjoyed Pylant's work on the morning show, but these recent mispronunciations are becoming a habit.

And the baseball follies were topped off by Pylant's co-anchor, Tawyna Bach, channeling President George W. Bush and pronouncing nuclear as if it were nukular.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Pylant isn't a sports anchor. Your issue should be with KOAM for asking a news anchor to do what isn't in their realm of expertise.

It'd be like if a sports guy had to weather and called a warm front an occluded front.

Anonymous said...

Dave is not a sportscaster... he's a weather man that is forced to do sports for the morning show. Maybe you should politely call or email him the correct pronunciations if it bothers you... I know I would have a hard time getting some of those right if it wasn't my area of expertise.

John G. Hall said...

Skip Schumaker
Jared Michael Schumaker
Bats: Left , Throws: Right
Height: 5' 10" , Weight: 175 lb.

I don't like hearing names mispronounced about as much as I dislike seeing them incorrectly spelled. Life is tough, isn't it?

Randy said...

That's what happens when I start throwing stones. I thought I remembered the spelling of Schumaker's name, so I didn't check it, as I did Greinke's and Stavinoha's. I had that one coming. Thank God I spelled Skip correctly.

Randy said...

Anonymous, While I do appreciate that Dave Pylant is not a sportscaster, part of his job does require him to read copy to go with the Cardinals and Royals sports highlights. Those names are going to come up on a regular basis. it's just like the people who announce the starting lineups at high school basketball games. That is not their full-time job, but getting the names right is important. Even when it comes to spelling them, as I did so poorly with Skip Schumaker's.

Randy said...

Anonymous I,

Again, while I agree that Dave Pylant is not a sportscaster, he is a show that prides itself on presenting accurate information. That should be the case whether it his field of expertise, weather, sports, or news.

Anonymous said...

Also, you might want to check your post on the double "mruder" in Nevada.

CarthageResident said...

I have to agree with Randy on this one. Ironically it reminds me of that two ring circus consisting of Rick Rogers and Buzz Ball at The Carthage Press.

Anonymous said...

Randy - if a misprounced name or word bothers you so much, why don't you politely notify the "offender," instead of demonizing him or her in public.

Do you get some kind of silly thrill dressing down people. That's usually a sign weakness...as if you have power doing this when you don't have any prestige elsewhere....

Randy said...

I don't recall the people who are commenting about this post saying anything when I was making good comments about Dave Pylant anD KOAM's Morning Show, which, by the way, I have done numerous times. Rip into me all you want, but the simple fact is that someone at KOAM should have noticed this a long time ago. I have written many positive posts about KOAM in the past, and I am sure I will write more in the future. But when I see something I don't like,I am going to write about it and I am not going to run it past the station or any employee first. I don't do it when I praise them, and I don't intend to do it when something is broadcast that warrants criticism.

Old School said...

Randy is right on this one. It's a simple issue of professionalism. Pylant should do whatever it takes to pronounce the names correctly. This is why people always make fun of the media. Accuracy, accuracy, accuracy is our creed.

Martha said...

I don't know if you were around 40 years ago...that's when we moved to Nevada from Kansas City. My husband and I would watch KOAM just for laughs. From exploding light bulbs falling on the weatherman to mispronouncing EVERYTHING to trainees attempting to do the news.
Dave Pylant is a true professional. Imagine looking sharp that early and being prepared every morning for 10 years. I don't know how he does it.
We've lived in Fort Scott for the last 20 years and everyone in Fort Scott thinks he's the best!!