Monday, June 15, 2009

Gannett CEO steps down temporarily

Gannett CEO Craig Dubow is stepping down for four months following back surgery, according to a memo circulated to the company's newspapers, including the Springfield News Leader:

Dear Co-workers: This morning, I underwent surgery on my back. I am pleased to report it was successful and I'm doing fine. I am beginning a leave of absence to recuperate.
During the time I am on leave, the Board of Directors and I have asked Executive Vice President and Chief Financial Officer Gracia Martore to step in as our principal executive officer. She will work with our management team to seamlessly continue operating the company as I recover.

This was major surgery, with all its potential for complications, but it is not rare. I have a great medical team and I hope to make a full recovery. My doctors have predicted I will need about a 4-month leave, but the exact length is unknown at this time.
As a result, I wanted you to be aware of the situation before a press release goes out. The announcement is expected shortly to make shareholders aware of my absence.

Be assured, Gannett is in good hands. We have the strongest management team in the business and they have my complete confidence.

Thank you and I hope to see you soon.

No comments: