Friday, June 05, 2009

GateHouse papers Smiles of the Day are a waste of time, space

I have waited a couple of years for the idea to grow on me, but I hate it more intensely than ever.

I am referring to the page one "Smiles of the Day" featured in both The Carthage Press and Neosho Daily News. If you want another local photo on page one, start running mug shots with some of the news briefs, or simply run another photo of whatever news event occurred the previous day.

The smiles of the day are a waste of space, an insult to the reporters who are forced to do it, and apparently are sometimes a last minute thought.

How else can you explain The Press' decision on two days this week to adorn page one with the smiling faces of Speaker of the House Ron Richard and Sen. Gary Nodler. If the smiles of the day is designed to bring the average reader's face onto page one, then you are defeating the whole purpose by running photos of newsmakers.

10 comments:

Tiffany said...

Um, Randy...I was the smile of the day today in the Carthage Press. Am I a waste of space? :(

Randy said...

Why should they have a little picture of you smiling when they could have had a larger photo and a story?

Tiffany said...

Because the paper was already overflowing with Carthage news, of course!

Randy said...

Of course!

Anonymous said...

I'm okay with using a local resident, but last time I checked, Ron Richard and Gary Nodler didn't live in Carthage (or Neosho). Please don't use any more politicians! Get off your lazy asses, walk outside, and shoot a picture of an ordinary citizen.

Anonymous said...

Since when are the Carthage Press and the Neosho Whatever considered actual newspapers? Those little reporters can't work any harder than they do.

Randy said...

I have a great deal of respect for the reporters and editors at the Press and the Daily. They work hard and are usually ill served by the decision made by those above them.

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a Gloria decision. She really knows how to share a smile. I know I smile each day wondering how I'm going to feed my children. Thanks for all the smiles Gloria!

Anonymous said...

Did anyone notice who the smile of the day was in the sunday edition of the Press?

Anonymous said...

NICE!!! It's Mr. T!