Friday, June 05, 2009

No mention of furloughs in Stark column

I thought I was going to have to eat my words when I started reading Joplin Globe Editor Carol Stark's latest blog entry. Having just read an Editor & Publisher story about the unpaid furloughs the Globe's parent company, Community Newspaper Holdings, has ordered all employees (including Mrs. Stark) to take, when I saw her blog post began with a conversation from someone from Editor & Publisher, I thought we were finally going to get the lowdown straight from the source.

I quickly found out how wrong I was.

The post was not about furloughs, but tweeting:

I got a call the other day from Joe Strupp, senior editor at Editor & Publisher. He had heard from someone in the industry that our newsroom used “social networking” as a tool for gathering the news.
I’ll admit to having to bluff for a few minutes until I figured out what he was talking about. Social networking still isn’t exactly newsroom jargon.
But, Facebook, My Space, Twitter... blogging are more and more becoming standard fare in the newsroom.
We are signed up on Facebook and we “tweet” three or four times a day. Nearly 200 people follow us via Twitter. But, if you aren’t twittering, you can see those same alerts on our Web site.


On the positive side, Globe employees will have more time for social networking. You can't beat those tweets.

***
Anyone with a copy of CNHI's letter ordering the second furlough, please feel free to send it along. My e-mail address is rturner229@hotmail.com.

No comments: