Thursday, July 30, 2009

Cynthia Davis: I love guns



No, the picture that accompanies this post does not show a new method being employed by Rep. Cynthia Davis, R-O'Fallon, to end hunger among Missouri schoolchildren. In her latest capital report, Mrs. Davis assures us she was scared of one guns at one time, but now she loves them. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

The National Rifle Association gave me an “A” rating, but it was not for my marksmanship. It was for my laser beam accuracy in my voting record. Even though I don’t hunt or shoot guns at target ranges, I have a very strong commitment to preserving our freedom to own guns.

Guns used to scare me. I don’t enjoy watching movies like westerns or thrillers because of the gun violence. I don’t even like most X-box games for the same reason. However, last week I took a class on concealed weapons and the world is now a safer place! Before taking this class, I was scared of guns. Stop and think for a moment, those that wish harm on others are even more afraid of encountering someone who is capable of protecting themselves.

As much as I don’t like violence, I can’t deny its existence. Having a concealed weapon is parallel to having a fire extinguisher in your home. Having one does not guarantee a fire-proof home, but you’re much safer if you have one! Statistics show a community with armed citizens is safer than a community of disarmed citizens.

For me, it is part of taking personal responsibility for our own safety. Certainly if I were walking down a dark alley at night, I would rather be with a trained friend with a gun than next to a nice guy with a great personality.

History is riddled with stories of corrupt groups and governments beginning their horrors by disarming the people. My grandfather told us stories of the Turks disarming the Armenians shortly before they started the genocide that destroyed his brothers, sisters and father. Hitler did the same in Germany. Our founding fathers put the second amendment into the constitution so that we would have some way to protect ourselves against evildoers and lawlessness if all else fails. While it seems like a paradox, it is philosophically pro-life. We respect life enough that we are willing to defend it if threatened by an evil perpetrator!

The charming City of Hallsville played host to our class for the day. I had the best hamburger in years at the Route B Diner. The instructor, Tim Oliver, showed extreme patience with me at the Green Valley Rifle and Pistol Club shooting range. The only harm done was that my arms got sunburned from standing in the full sun at the range. If you want to learn more about this you can go to: www.learntocarry.com

While I never thought I wanted to carry a gun, I have to acknowledge that gun ownership is a very important part of our heritage and preserving our freedom.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

So because I choose not to carry a gun I don't respect life as much as Cynthia. And who uses the word "evildoers" with a straight face after the last 8 years?