Sunday, August 30, 2009
Kansas City Democrats top Turner Report Hall of Shame; Talboy a runaway winner
Somewhere in the dim corner of hell reserved for political bosses, Tom Pendergast must be smiling.
Eighteen members of the Missouri House of Representatives accepted more than $2,000 in lobbyists' gifts during the first six months of 2009, and the top two come from Pendergast's home town of Kansas City, and from his beloved Democratic Party.
Rep. Mike Talboy, D-Kansas City, not only is at the top of The Turner Report Hall of Shame, he was the runaway winner. With only half of the year gone, Talboy has already collected $6,480.61 in lobbyists' gifts.
His fellow KC Democrat, Leonard Hughes, compiled a respectable $3,994.06 to pull into the runner-up position.
Of the 18 nearly all were from either the Kansas City or St. Louis area, and 12 were Democrats, including six of the 10 who made the Hall of Shame.
The others joining Talboy and Hughes in the top 10:
3. Timothy Jones, R-Eureka $3,530.25
4. Chris Carter, D-St. Louis $3,303.07
5. Martin Rucker, D-St. Joseph $3,299.34
6. Shalonn Curls, D-Kansas City, $3,255.97
7. Ryan Silvey, R-Kansas City, $2,914.91
8. Tim Flook, R-Liberty, $2,871.26
9. Mike Colona, D-St. Louis, $2,714.48
10. Joe Smith, R-St. Charles, $2,614.15
The other eight, receiving dishonorable mention:
11. Ted Hoskins D-Berkeley $2,607.97
12. Steve Tilley, R-Perryville, $2,568.57
13. Michael Spreng, D-Florissant, $2,445.82
14. Steve Webb, D-Florissant, $2,256.15
15. Michael Corcoran,D-St. Ann $2,162.14
16. John Diehl, R-Town and Country, $2,072.77
17. Don Calloway, D-St. Louis, $2,035.80
18. Jamilah Nasheed, D-St. Louis, $2,020.58
More information about the Hall of Shame winners will be featured in upcoming posts.
For a detailed Turner Report examination of Mike Talboy's gifts from lobbyists, go to this link.