Monday, September 14, 2009

Remembering Bill Pierson

(The following is my column for this week's Newton County News.) 

People close to the Old Mining Town Days celebration in Granby told me there was some concern a couple of years ago about the kickoff musical act for the annual three-day celebration. 

It had become a tradition for Bill Pierson, one of the last (and best) of the big band singers to open the program, backed by Jim Hunter's band. But the years had not been kind to Bill. 

Already an octogenarian, his hearing was starting to go, a sign that Bill Pierson's musical career, which had stretched more than seven decades, was on its last legs.

Even the billing for the performance was different. This time, it was Hunter's group that was advertised with special guest Bill Pierson, mainly because the organizers were concerned that Bill would not be able to make the performance.


They underestimated Bill Pierson's determination to go out on a high note. I was lucky enough to be in Dick Smith Memorial Park that Friday evening. Bill was not on stage when the entertainment began, but soon he was introduced, and it was like he had magically erased the problems that were forcing his retirement from his first love. 








 First, it was the trumpet. As he performed an extended solo on one number, he hit every note. And when he sang, whether it was one of the old standards from the 30's or 40's or his dead-on Louis Armstrong impersonation, both the listener and Bill Pierson were transported to an earlier bygone era.

Though Bill was not supposed to be onstage for more than a couple of songs, he finished out the show with Jim Hunter's combo. Too soon, the music ended. Granby had seen Bill Pierson perform for the final time. 

Bill, a lifelong supporter of the city and people of Granby, died Saturday at age 83. Services will be held 4 p.m. Wednesday at Parker Mortuary in Joplin. Visitation will be held 6 to 7 p.m. Tuesday at the mortuary. 








 Over the years, I had the good fortune to hear Bill perform many times. I particularly remember his performance at the birthday party for Attorney General Bill Webster in September 1992, when Webster was running against Mel Carnahan for governor. That was the last time I talked to Bill’s late wife Willi. 

I also remember his 1988 performance at Lamar's Heritage Days celebration, but my favorite performances always came when Bill opened Granby's annual three-day festivities. Old Mining Town Days will never be the same, but the music in heaven sure must sound sweeter.

9 comments:

margaretaprince said...

Thank you for your kind words about my grandpa. You captured his love of music and his love of Granby beautifully in your article. Though I must mention his widow, my grandmother, Betty Pierson. She has been by his side since 1957. Although they did separate 10 years, during which he shared a loving marriage with Willi Pierson. After her death my grandparents reunited and were married again. They had been married for a total of 37 years. My Grandpa, Bill Pierson, was a kind and loving man. I think he would want his "Bet" to remembered in this article as well.
Again, thank you for remembering my grandpa. He and his music will be so greatly missed.

Randy said...

I definitely did not mean to slight your grandmother. That was simply an oversight on my part. I mention Willi because she was a person who helped me early with my writing, giving me encouragement and her copies of Writer's Digest when she was through with them. I am going to miss Bill. He was always a good friend.

John Ford said...

Randy, thanks for the tribute to Bill Pierson. I have had the pleasure of covering Old Mining Town Days for many years now, and Bill's performance was always a highlight for me. You're right: OMTD won't be the same without him. God must have needed a heck of a trumpet player.

Sandra Dubry said...

Our Dad had a deep love for Granby. Any time we offered to take him anywhere, he always wanted to go to Granby and see where he grew up and to visit people he had been in contact with in his past. He had planned to go the OMTD this year, but his health prevented him from going. We want to thank the people of Granby for being such a big part of our Dad's life and for acknowledging his talent and his love for music. There is nothng he enjoyed more than playing music for people and bringing enjoyment to their lives. He loved it. And he loved Granby. We will dearly miss him and are thankful that we have had the joy and pleasure of having as long as we did.

Anonymous said...

I remember a lot of good times with Bill at Local 620 functions. Those old jazz cats were always a hoot to be around and we "kids" learned how to be musicians from them.

God Bless Bill and step back Gabriel, there's a new soloist in the brass section.

Anonymous said...

I've been acquainted with Bill since about the mid 1960's. Although I haven't seen him much recently, I was a music major and he was a great mentor and friend and a fun person to be around. He still remembered me through the years and on the occasion I would catch him at a performance somewhere he still remembered me and would take time to talk.
I, along with many others will greatly miss him.

Danny Thomas said...

Nice recognition of one of the Joplin Area's great musicians. I spent many years as a drummer in the 620 and worked with Bill on numerous occasions. I, at the time, was a young kid who read music and played as much Big Band as Country and Rock. Eddie Bartholemew saw me as a new generation and teamed me with the local greats like Bill every chance he got. I'll never forget those legends when there were 25 or more live acts performing in Joplin every weekend, and the only recorded music was from the juke box. May we never forget!

Anonymous said...

I would like to thank you and your aritcle as many people in Granby,Mo, did not know if this was the same Bill Pierson who was married to "Willy Chester -Pierson or not as the Joplin Globe and Parker Mortuary failed to mention he was preceeded in death by my Aunt Willy Chester Pierson, who was married to him for "14" years not "10" as was incorrectly reported, Willy drove he and band members to many engagements including Shagri-La ,as she was always by his side and musically inclined as well an avid violionist and Piano player.
Unfortunately Willy Chester Pierson lost her battle with Cancer in 1994, and is not here to defend herself as to the slight oversight by all media in reporting her preceeding him in death as his widow.
Both will be missed tremendously.
May God Bless.
K. Chester

Anonymous said...

Is there a source for obtaining his arrangements?