Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Ruestman reminisces about time in House

In the latest Ruestman Report, the term-limited Joplin Republican reminisces about her time in the House:

It seems it was just a short while ago I was packing for my first inauguration as State Representative.  Now, eight years later, I am preparing to move out of my office in the State Capitol.  It has been a growing experience for me as I came to better know my district and work with them closely on issues of importance to them.  I’ve made many great friends throughout the state as we worked hard to make Missouri a better place for families and businesses.
 Now, I face the bittersweet end to my time in Jefferson City due to term limits.  Despite the sad end to my time in state office, I still firmly believe in the positive effects of term limits.
 Looking back, it has been an exciting time with a great opportunity to make a positive impact on our state and local communities.  Bringing Newton and McDonald Counties to the forefront of state government has been one of my proudest accomplishments.  Through my position in House Leadership, I was able to better represent my constituents by having a stronger voice in Caucus decision-making.
 I’m happy to report that I’ve been busy over the last eight years.  In 2007, supported by Jack Goodman in the Senate, I was able to pass the “Castle Doctrine” which allows individuals to protect themselves from intruders in their home.
 The following year a tragedy in my district prompted Ethan’s Law.  The loss of Ethan Cory’s life could easily have been prevented.  Through House Bill 1341, we required privately-owned pools open to the public to carry liability insurance.  Through this requirement, pools who seek to be insured must meet specific safety standards before an insurance company will write them a policy.
 The next year, 2009, I filed House Bill 152 for the second time.  Through a lot of hard work and long hours, I was able to get it passed and signed into law.  Now, those arrested for violent and sexual crimes or burglaries must submit a DNA sample to check against other crime scene evidence.  Not only can it match them to the crime they were arrested for, but also to unsolved crimes.  Additionally, it can exonerate the innocent early in an investigation.  Since we know the typical rapist will rape 6-8 times before being convicted, this legislation can help catch and convict criminals sooner.  I believe lives have already been saved due to this law.
 That year I was also able to pass emergency placement of grandchildren with their grandparents.  Prior to writing this bill, I heard many stories of children being removed from their homes and placed with strangers instead of family members.  Most would agree that a child’s grandparents are usually the better option for placement when available.
 My amendment to House Bill 1806 this past session will allow Newton County additional years to prepare for the costly government requirements necessary to move into the first classification.  I also worked to secure an additional seat for Newton County on the Joplin Special Road District.
 My time in office has been a whirlwind with many changes happening in Missouri and in the House of Representatives.  In all, I was able to pass 13 pieces of legislation either as a bill or an amendment.  I wish the incoming Representatives the best of luck and pray for them as they take on many serious issues in the state.


No comments: