Friday, December 10, 2010

Grinches at Missouri DOR wish a merry Christmas to The Turner Report

I received my holiday greetings today from my friends at Jay Nixon's Missouri Department of Revenue. The envelope did not contain a present or even a Christmas card, but a stern warning that it was time that I paid my 2009 Missouri State Income Tax.

The letter indicated I had not sent in a return in April and they are ready to hit me with a $1,300+ lump of coal to put me in the Yuletide spirit.

A few moments ago, I e-mailed a response:

Today, in the mail I received a message indicating I had not filed my 2009 state income tax.

In this threatening letter which is coming right at the time when I am buying Christmas presents for family and loved ones, you told me that I owed an estimated $1,077.84, and that with interest and a penalty for late filing, the total amount I will have to pay is $1,369.54.

Shocked out of my senses since I have always paid my taxes on time, I searched through my checkbook, and apparently I never sent a check to the Missouri Department of Revenue. Then it occurred to me why I could not find a notation in my check book.

Since when are you in the habit of sending refunds to people who have not filed their income tax returns? Though I do not recall the exact amount I received (it was somewhere in the neighborhood of $30), I did receive it and I did cash the check.

You should have a returned check. Hopefully, the people who are in charge of reconciling your bank statements are more efficient than those who keep track of tax returns.

In your letter, you demanded that I send a copy of my return and my W2s. I do not intend to waste my money sending in a copy of a return I have already sent you and I might add, a return for which you mailed me a refund.

I expect to be notified when you have situation corrected.

Sincerely,

William R. Turner

I would be interested in hearing if anyone else had their returns lost by the folks at the Department of Revenue.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

You blew it smarty pants..pay your taxes and the penalty...I'm tired of supporting leaches like you.

You're even too cheap to send a letter and buy a stamp to conduct proper business....setting a poor example for your students who should be taught to use a letter - not e-mail - and you should set an example of people paying their proper taxes.

Anonymous said...

To the anonymous comment: what part of "He DID pay his taxes on time" did you misinterpret? Also, if the government can't keep track of his tax filing, do you have any confidence that an old-fashioned letter would be handled effectively? Electronic communication is the best. Not only is it more efficient, but it creates a trail of proof as well. Clearly, you live in the dark ages. I'm an executive at a top 5 corporation, everything is paperless. So, if you feel that Mr Turner is setting an inappropriate example for his students, my recommendation is that you seek some current business knowledge. And I don't mean at the local hardware store.

Randy said...

Thanks to Anonymous 7:22. I appreciate the defense. As for Anonymous 6:32, let me spell this out in simple words so you can understand- They sent me a refund. They do not send refunds to people who have not filed their returns.

Anonymous said...

7:22 with friends like you to defend him Randy sure doesn't need enemies..

As for using e-mail in formal business, if you believe that, you believe all those e-mails from Africa asking for money.

It's rare that a responsible business or corporation accepts e-mail...it's subject to interception or fraud..

Anonymous said...

Do not pee into the wind.

Ang. said...

About four years ago, the DOR lost my refund. Steelman was in office. They said they sent it, but we never got it. So they sent a form I had to fill out and get notarized, and they eventually sent us a replacement check. Thing is, they sent it to the wrong name: I didn't change my name when I got married, either officially or unofficially. I have literally never used his name in any capacity. The tax return was filed, as they have always been filed, in both my name and my husband's name. They would have had to look at the return to get the amount for the check, so it's beyond me why they couldn't manage to get the name right. Anyway, I couldn't deposit or cash it, because that's not my name. I eventually threw it away--it was $60--because they gave me the run-around when I asked them to send a new check with the correct names, and they told me that I should be able to deposit it (my bank said otherwise). I couldn't believe the incompetence and sent a letter telling them so, but I never got a response or a second replacement check.

Anonymous said...

One thing that concerns me is, you didn't say you have a copy of your 2009 tax return. Do you? Did you file it electronically, or by mail?
Just relying on a refund check as proof is not sufficient. The filed return is what you need. I file our returns electronically and have a receipt and a copy of the return. That is what I go by.
You should have similar proof.

Anonymous said...

Randy's failure to pay taxes on earned income from the bands's gigs is coming back to haunt him.

Randy said...

I have a copy of my 2009 income tax return, but if a refund check is not proof, what is? Why should I spend my money to make up for the mistake they made using my money. As for my band, I only wish there was earned income from our gigs to report.

Anonymous said...

Randy, you can send them an electronic copy free.

Anonymous said...

Randy:
Don't feel too bad. DOR is saying I owe taxes when I didn't even live in the state of Mo.
and It's my responsibility to prove my innocents, in spite of the fact if they spent any time looking up the tax ID of the employer they would discover it is a company that operates out of state....