Saturday, February 05, 2011

Sarah Steelman pens thank you letter to President Reagan

Former State Treasurer and Republican U. S. Senate candidate Sarah Steelman offers the following tribute, a letter, to President Reagan on the occasion of his 100th birthday:

Dear President Reagan:


Thirty five years ago, my brother and I stood at a hotel in Springfield, Missouri, anxiously awaiting your arrival. Then you appeared flanked on one side by Efram Zimblist, Jr. (The FBI TV show) and the other by Ken Curtis (better known as Festus on Gunsmoke) towering over those actors with a huge smile on your face. Always smiling. You were taking on the most powerful people in the world - the establishment - the Washington power brokers and there you were walking with your head held high, expressing confidence and humility because you understood who you were fighting for. Your face shone with joy and peace because you knew in your heart you were right. I was 18. I felt like I was a part of history - a part of something that mattered.

You didn't win that year and I was crushed - but I knew you would be back because you were relentless. Since 1964 I had been hearing about you - and in 1964 I was only a child. My Dad introduced me to conservative thought by way of Goldwater, Buckley, and Russell Kirk. By the time 1980 rolled around I was fully engaged and ready for action in your revolution. In the dead of winter, I convinced five of my friends from Mizzou to drive to Iowa to work for you at the Iowa Caucuses. Thank goodness we were there because we were the only volunteers. We worked hard for you. It was the only time I ever got close enough to you to shake your hand. Instead of telling you how much I admired and respected you, I looked up at you and just like a school girl said - "I adore you." My moment had passed and I had blown it.

You lost Iowa in spite of the fact we worked tirelessly for you. On to New Hampshire where you reorganized and with your resilience, won a great victory and, well, the rest is history.

Today I would like to thank you for your unwavering courage. My Dad taught me about the power of your ideas because they reflected the American experiment. You understood that every individual must be allowed to be free to achieve their God-given purpose. And it is that achievement - whatever it is - that makes a person feel fulfilled and happy and gives their life meaning. That a nation which understands the value of that individual, God-given freedom - like America - unleashes an unstoppable spirit and can do the impossible. You understood that government exists to protect that freedom, not to interfere with it, and that our government is a government of, by and for the people. Thank you for fighting for a smaller government because you knew that "as government expands liberty contracts." Thank you for believing in and trusting the people of this country including the "regiments of Reagan" as you referred to us. I have taught my kids how grateful I am for your unwavering courage to confront the "evil empire" and stand steadfast for Freedom for the entire world to see. How different the world looks today because of you.

And lastly, thank you for showing me how to love my country. You were not just a "great communicator." You saw the Shining City on the Hill when you looked at our country. You believed in the strength of her people and the strength of her ideas. You reminded us that freedom is what makes America good and great. Most importantly, you taught us that when we believe in ourselves anything is possible.

Thank you President Reagan - I still adore you.

Sarah Steelman

7 comments:

Busplunge said...

"Ronald Reagan was never afraid to raise taxes," historian Douglas Brinkley, who edited Reagan's diaries, told NPR. "He knew that it was necessary at times. And so there's a false mythology out there about Reagan as this conservative president who came in and just cut taxes and trimmed federal spending in a dramatic way. It didn't happen that way. It's false."

Anonymous said...

How desperate do you have to be to release this type of publicity stunt?

Sarah lives in lala land. Perhaps that is the area she wants to represent.

Claire is going to spank her and her blue eyes in the election, if, and that is a big IF, Sarah wins the Primary Election.

Anonymous said...

Gee that is straight out of the other Sarah's playbook.

-pp

Anonymous said...

Playboy magazine bound. She'll find Bachman and Palin in the lobby.

Anonymous said...

ALL HAIL SAINT RONNIE I!! He slept through Cabinet meetings, let Oliver North run wild, had an out of control second term deficit and was clueless without cue cards. Now he is being used for publicity stunts by Palin and Steelman.

Anonymous said...

Its the old 'quote Ronnie, quit thinking' problem that affects 90% of the elected Republicans.

Anonymous said...

Read David Stockman's book, Tale from the Wood Shed. Stockman was Reag's first budget director.

Stockman relates how Reag never knew what was going on at meetings, had to be prompted and practiced for hours before a press conference, and then they held their breath about what he might say. He was a loose cannon from day one.

His Son, Ron, relates that his dad was a kind, friendly and warm type person, but never had a close friend in his life. He lived in his own little world, confused as it was.

Yet, everyone says "He was a leader"