Monday, February 07, 2011

Turner Report hits 12,000 posts

I never anticipated writing this many posts when this blog started more than seven years ago, but I continue to enjoy writing it as much as I did when it first started.

As I have noted before, it began when I encouraged Diamond High School students Michelle Nickolaisen and Alicia Bradley, who had been my students in middle school, to continue their writing. I had imagined they would go the time honored route of writing journals.

I found out a few days later, they had started blogging, something I had never heard of up to that point. I loved the concept and determined that I would start a blog. I was still working on Wildcat Central, the Diamond Middle School news website at that time, so I did not officially start blogging until I moved to the Joplin R-8 School District.

As I tell my students each year, "If I'm going to make you write every day (and I do), then I am going to do the same."

And so I have.

The readership of The Turner Report has increased from about 35 per day through most of the first year I blogged full time to averaging approximately 600 readers per day last year with gusts of up to 6,000 when there have been stories of major interest such as the Pete Newman scandal, the West Mesa murders, or some of the major political stories.

Thanks to all of you readers who have continued to frequent this site over the years.

Now it's time for post number 12,001.

4 comments:

Turner Fan said...

Congratulations, Randy. Your blog fills a void in the Joplin area. Your posts about the shenanigans going on at Missouri Southern State University always draw the most comments, sometimes as many as 25-30.

Randy said...

Thank you for the kind words.
And I guess now would be as good a time as any to remind people they can send me tips on what is going on at MSSU or anywhere else in Missouri. Send them to rturner229@hotmail.com

Busplunge said...

Randy-- it is bloggers like you, Politicomo, the erstwhileconservative who keep us informed with all the news that fits.

Congratulations on meeting another miles stone!

Thanks for trying to keep them honest!

Jim Lee

Randy said...

I appreciate it, Jim, and you definitely can include your name and your blog on that list.