Friday, April 29, 2011

Hartzler: People want jobs

In her weekly newsletter, Fourth District Congresswoman Vicky Hartzler reported on her town hall meetings:

What a good week we have had visiting with and hearing the ideas of so many Fourth District Missourians on how we can make our country stronger.


We held eight Town Halls throughout the District. I was so pleased with the overwhelming turnout from so many citizens who are concerned about our country. Town Halls were held in Warsaw, Sedalia, Marshfield, Lebanon, El Dorado Springs, Nevada, Harrisonville, and Blue Springs. We had overflow crowds at several of these venues. It is encouraging to me, as I work to address our national debt crisis, that so many people have had it with job-destroying, runaway spending. They want action taken to deal with the problem. The Fourth District’s voice was heard loud and clear: stick to our debt-reducing plan and restore our country’s fiscal health. Trust me. I am committed to doing that and will go back to D.C., next week, armed with the resolve and common sense from the Fourth District of Missouri that is so sorely needed in Washington.

Our debt crisis was not the only thing on the minds of people attending the meetings. We discussed such issues as skyrocketing gas prices, budget cuts, ensuring the future of Social Security and Medicare, border security, and making sure our men and women in uniform have the protection they need as they work to protect us. It was a great discussion of ways to address these pressing issues.

In addition to the Town Halls, I had the chance to visit with several Fourth District businessmen and women and tour their facilities. It was impressive to see all they are doing to create jobs and to provide a worthy product for Americans, but what I heard about government regulations is cause for concern. They told me story after story of how some bureaucracy in Washington is making it difficult for them to operate and compete against their competitors around the world. They sked me to help them to relieve the burden of this bureaucratic red tape and I have promised them I will continue to work on their behalf as they move toward putting our country back on the right track. We need more jobs here and Washington needs to help - not stand in the way!

There are concrete things Washington can do to help create jobs. This involves lowering taxes for individuals and businesses, simplifying the tax code, ending the uncertainty brought about by current and projected federal government mandates, repealing the government mandated health care onto businesses, getting the EPA off their backs, and reducing the national debt so the value of the dollar remains strong and we don’t invite another recession. Uncertainty stifles growth and harms our country. Things must be stabilized.

As I return to Washington next week, I will be working hard to promote sound economic policies which will be good for jobs, good for America, and good for the people of the Fourth District of Missouri.

In other news, we learned about the new U.S. House map approved by the Missouri General Assembly. Redistricting will bring many new Missourians into the Fourth District, but will move some residents into other congressional districts. I welcome the opportunity to represent Missourians who are currently represented by others, but I will sorely miss representing anyone who is going to be redistricted outside the Fourth with the new map. I want to assure anyone being placed outside the Fourth District after 2012’s election that these changes will not impact my service to the citizens in any of my counties during these next two years. I will continue to represent you, enthusiastically, and feel blessed to get to do it.

No comments: