Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Anti-Muslim sentiment clouds $1 million gift to Joplin Schools

(The following is the blog I just submitted to Huffington Post.)

It was one of those feel-good stories that have popped up day after day since the May 22 Joplin Tornado.


The United Arab Emirates embassy pledged half a million dollars to the Joplin Schools for the One-to-One program, which is designed to give every high school student a laptop for the 2011-2012 school year.

That pledge is backed by an additional pledge of another half million if other donors can match the original amount.

The following passage was included in the school district news release:

"The entire world was touched by the devastation caused in Joplin by the May 22 tornado. Given the scale of the disaster, including the destruction of the community's only high school, we felt it was important to provide assistance," said Yousef Al Otaiba, UAE Ambassador to the U.S. "The One-to-One initiative is a truly innovative idea that will not only give current students the tools they need to start the school year, but position future Joplin Schools students on the cutting-edge of learning."

Joplin Schools and the UAE Embassy anticipate this grant as the start of a longer-term partnership between the two organizations. JS and the Embassy hope to work together to develop programming that will deepen cultural understating and awareness between the U.S. and the UAE.

At least $500,000 and probably $1.5 million being used for the benefit of students whose lives have been forever changed by the cataclysmic forces of nature.

Who could argue with such an outpouring of humanity? Who could argue with the evidence of the effect Joplin has had on the world?

Sadly, some of those who are arguing come from within Joplin. They lurk on the comment sections of blogs, including mine, and the local newspaper.

Deep torrents of bigotry are unleashed in these comments, almost always by people who hide behind the cloak of anonymity.

The first reaction on my blog, The Turner Report, was what I expected when I printed the school district's news release on the gift:
The same country that brought us the 9-11 hijackers!

Another one wrote:
Did Joplin Schools sell their souls?

Those are the ones that I allowed to remain on my blog. I do not intend to become a surrogate for the type of hatred that runs rampant among certain elements in our society. Other comments, which contained profanity and anti-Muslim slurs were removed immediately.

The Joplin Globe apparently took a different approach. Its story on the gift, on the homepage of its website, has been scrubbed of all comments.

I don't pretend to speak for the Joplin School District, Joplin High School, or this city. As an educator, my job is to make sure that students get past blind hatred and prejudice and learn to reason. There are times when I wonder if I am swimming against an overwhelming tide.

It is difficult to promote reason when our culture is dominated by conversations in which those who can shout the loudest and have the catchiest soundbites are prized more than those with the ability to discuss an issue using the force of reason.

Our culture is a recipe designed to pull us apart, not bring us together.

But I have watched over these past two and a half months as the most horrific event in Joplin's history has brought together not only the people of Joplin, but the people of the world.

The basic tenets of love, decency, and generosity are not limited to one country, one religion or one color.

When someone reaches out with a helping hand, we should never respond with slurs and undisguised hatred.

The correct response to the gift of the United Arab Emirates, the one which has been overwhelmingly provided by those in Joplin who do not hide their venom behind fake names or "Anonymous" is "thank you."

15 comments:

Andrew Hoffman said...

Some people are going to complain no matter what. And unfortunately over the last 10 years, any one of middle eastern decent has became a target. Criticizing an entire group of people for the acts of a few is simply ignorant. Now on the flip side, I'm sure that the UAE didn't "donate" the money with no strings attached. But if those strings are simply to help promote cultural awareness in a at times closed minded part of the country, then I say thank you.

Andrea said...

You ARE swimming against an overwhelming tide, Randy. I am afraid that you and other like you will not succeed. Joplin does not want people who hold opposing views or who value education and logic over superstition and ignorance. And as long as that area continues to make it known that educated, skilled, bright young people are not wanted, those are exactly the ones who will flee. I wish this was not the case. Maybe it will change someday.

Anonymous said...

Unfortunately we live in an area where an open mind and other ideologies aren't accepted, but as other countries and peoples show their support and humanity, the youth will grow up as others have not, which will change the future of this community.

Andrea said...

Randy--After school starts, I'd sure love to read a story about our high school students writing to thank the UAE for this generous donation.

Lisa said...

Are we so uneducated that we do not know the difference between terrorists and Muslims? There are bad people in every culture and religion. Please don't confuse the entire culture with the bad people that are scattered in it. No more than others defining Joplin but the nuts in it that think we shouldn't accept the donation of Muslims because of the extremists of their religion!

Charles said...

As a contractor (from Reeds, MO) currently serving in the middle east, I have had the privilege of being surrounded by the Muslim culture. It's such a fascinating... and different world.

I'm thankful to have been able to witness this other 'world' first hand. Now I have a better understanding and appreciation for who these people really are. Yes, I said "people."

I believe that we, as Americans, assume too much. Our society is in a hurry for everything, and it just doesn't want to take the time to read into the truth. The truth is, our society is afraid of something that's outside its comfort zone.

Show some appreciation. I assure you that by accepting this gift, you're returning a gift of respect and willingness to understand. That doesn't sound like too terrible of a step toward a better world.

Argus said...

All I can say is whoever comments should grow a pair and step up. I'm a Christian, a Soldier, a Father, a Patriot. I served in Iraq and have fought insurgents. This gift is an amazing gesture. The UAE did not have to do this, they chose to. I am sad to say that I know people who fought and died so idiots can make comments about Joplin Schools selling their souls. You should be ashamed.

Andrea said...

Pink1212:

I am also from Joplin, and I lived there for over 30 years (my whole life) until a few months ago. I'm sorry you were insulted because that was not my intention. I know that not everyone there is like that (in fact, I made that point in my comment on another post here, and I should have done so here, too). But I stand by my comment because that was my experience there, and it was the experience of many other people I knew there. By and large, quality professional, educational, and social opportunities for bright, educated, skilled, freethinking people do not exist there. I hope that changes someday.

Anonymous said...

I think making the leap from a handful of comments made on a blog and equating that to the overall sentiment of the residents of Joplin seems to be made for the sole purpose of building a foundation to rant against racism. Your blog comments isn't representative of any group except those who read your blog.

Racism is an odious affliction of most societies but to think this grants you the license to declare "[o]ur culture is a recipe designed to pull us apart" is wildly objective at best and is more accurately a complete non sequitur.

As an educator, I'd expect a more joined and cogent argument buttressed by something (anything) more substantial in the way of supporting fact than comments on your blog...especially when the implied charge is that "Joplin residents are racist".

If your students tried to make such a thin and obviously biased argument in an essay I'd hope you'd be objective enough to give them a C- and recommend they let evidence (actual, real, meaningful evidence at that) drive conclusions...and not the opposite.

RL said...

I think the Globe recently switched tracks on how to deal with the anti-muslim sentiment they were anticipating. They've re-opened comments (or are now not censoring them?), but removed the story from the homepage. And the only two comments posted right now?....

td wrote:
Have known terrorist come from the UAE?

Anonymous wrote:
I don't think Joplin needs anything from the Arabs

Brandy said...

I want to say thank you to UAE for their very generous gift. It says something amazing when a country composed of a culture which is largely villified in our own country is willing to set that aside for the betterment of a town they probably had never heard of until May 22. The sad thing is, so many Muslims face this hatred in our country because of the acts of a few crazy people and because the majority of Muslims are Middle Eastern, whether or not they are Muslims, Middle Easterners in general face this kind of scorn. It really says something about our society when there is even a single person in the community that would have a problem with such a large donation.

Anonymous said...

Randy,Randy,quick contact THE HUFF,it's raining out,got to let them know that your Johnnie on the spot, sounds like my little bro.growing up,something he didn't like he had to run to mommy,Randy I think we know who's you mama .

Randy said...

Euroranger, you apparently did not read the blog very closely if you think I was saying that the majority of the people in this area were racist or anti-Muslim.

After all, at the end of the post, I clearly state "The correct response to the gift of the United Arab Emirates, the one which has been overwhelmingly provided by those in Joplin who do not hide their venom behind fake names or "Anonymous" is "thank you."

You take several paragraphs to rip my writing ability and style, while all the time claiming I am saying something that I am not saying at all. The post was clearly aimed at those who prefer to make hate-filled, racist comments while hiding behind anonymity. I was clear about that throughout the post.

As an educator, I expect readers to have the ability to ascertain the writer's main point, which nearly all of the commenters on this particular post have.

Anonymous said...

My immediate response when I heard of the gift from the UAE was "Wow! What a great gift!" The response of the world to Joplin and the other areas affected by the May 22 tornado has truly been overwhelming.

Anonymous said...

Randy, I read the blog rather closely indeed. I apologize if a criticism I conveyed stung that much but I expected more of a response than a veiled "you can't read". Did I misunderstand your point with these paragraphs:

"Who could argue with such an outpouring of humanity? Who could argue with the evidence of the effect Joplin has had on the world?

Sadly, some of those who are arguing come from within Joplin. They lurk on the comment sections of blogs, including mine, and the local newspaper
".

I'm sure it's not necessary to point out to you that the internet makes it possible for people to comment on your blog and Joplin's newspaper sites who don't, you know, actually live in Joplin. You skip that rather obvious fact in order to make your point. And what is that point? Let's read on.

Your next para's subject is "they" which clearly references your last clearly identified subject "some...within Joplin". You then take it up a notch with "The first reaction...was what I expected"...which doesn't speak well of your view of your neighbors. Then you proceed to castigate our "society" and so on.

I could dissect your post further but I don't think I'd be doing you any favors. You can innocently claim you weren't saying such things but any reasonably capable reader can discern the contrary truth:

"When someone reaches out with a helping hand [to the residents of Joplin], we [as in you and other residents of Joplin...but of course NOT you...so just everyone else in Joplin] should never respond with slurs and undisguised hatred". See how that works? It's called reading comprehension and a skill, I'm sure (or I hope anyway) , a "communication arts" teacher would be familiar with.

No, thank you sir, my reading skills aren't in question. Believe me, I got your main point: you dislike racists. However, suggesting my criticism of your post originates from ignorance or incapacity is arrogant and insulting when the examples are there for all to see. They were your words and insinuations not mine. You'd like to excuse them as your end result is laudable. The ends justify the means now? Hm.

You feel free to have the last word...after all, it IS your blog. But I'd recommend cultivating a thicker skin when someone calls you out for your implications rather than resorting to suggesting they're not quite able to grasp your "depth".