Friday, September 09, 2011

Tritt withdraws from Joplin performance rather than accept money from funds for tornado victims

Joplin residents leaving messages on country singer Travis Tritt's Facebook page appear to overwhelmingly support Tritt's decision to withdraw from a scheduled Sept. 11 performance at Landreth Park.

Tritt said when he was booked, he was not aware that his fee was going to be paid from money designated for victims of the May 22 tornado.

Tritt left the following message on his Facebook fan page:

Last week, my booking agency was approached by a representative of the city of Joplin about whether I could perform a concert that would be part of an overall remembrance of 9/11.

This afternoon, I was informed that any reimbursement of expenses that would be incurred as a result of my participation would come from monies previously donated for the victims of the tornados that ripped through Joplin in May. I was also told this afternoon that the city of Joplin hoped that the funds would be reimbursed by sponsorship money. However, that hope is not good enough for me.

First of all, it is inappropriate and wrong to take contributions that were given to help victims of the tornados and use that money for any other purpose. I was not aware nor would I have even contemplated accepting the city's offer had I known where the money was coming from.

Consequently, and regrettably, I have chosen not to participate or perform this Sunday in Joplin, Missouri. As an American, I remember all too vividly the way I felt ten years ago on September 11. I will not have any part of any memorial service or remembrance that is not based in the truth or could hurt other victims.

1 comment:

Mo Rage said...

Good on Travis Tritt, good call.

Taking money for the victims for this. Not bright.