Friday, November 04, 2011

Cleaver: We need to be creating jobs, not fooling around with mottos

In his weekly EC from DC column, Rep. Emanuel Cleaver, D-Mo, explains his vote against reaffirming the motto "In God We Trust."

As our nation struggles through a dismal economy and so many in Missouri’s Fifth District wait in unemployment lines, this week there was a vote on reaffirming our national motto, "In God We Trust". As you may know, I voted no. Obviously, we are a Nation Under God. Not only has this been our motto since 1956, as a life-long minister, I needed no reminding. It is my personal motto as well. My vote on H. Con. Res. 13, a non-binding resolution that carries no force of law, was a stand on principle. This resolution was brought to the Floor at a time when our nation’s economy is in deep peril and my focus is on creating jobs, not reaffirming mottos. I believe our mandate is to act on real legislation that can put people back to work right now, keep people in their homes right now and help hard-working folks feed their children – right now. Working hard for you is what I have promised to do and what I will continue to do. And yes – In God We Trust – and In God I Trust.

No comments: