Monday, November 07, 2011

Steelman issues commitment to Missouri voters


In the latest maneuver in a race that is stirring up all of the excitement of a discussion on the nutritional merits of pork and beans, former State Treasurer Sarah Steelman has issued an 11-point pledge to Missouri voters. The news released is printed below:

This past Saturday evening at the Newton County GOP Bean Feed in Neosho, Missouri, U.S Senate Candidate, Sarah Steelman, discussed her commitment to the people of this state if she is elected. Steelman said: “ Washington, President Obama, and Senator Claire McCaskill are completely disconnected from us. They don’t have to deal with the same problems we do, and they don’t share our values.”

Steelman released a list of eleven priorities she believes are essential to representing the people of Missouri. She calls it Sarah’s Commitment. “I have taught my sons that leadership requires sacrifice, and real leaders set examples for others to follow. They don’t just talk about what others should be doing or sacrificing. That’s why I am making a commitment to Missourians – 11 things that highlight serving you, putting your interests first, and making sure Congress plays by the same rules we do.”

“Sarah’s Commitment”:
•I will uphold the United States Constitution.
•I will protect your personal liberty.
•I will be your public servant and put the best interest of our country first.
•I will read and thoroughly examine every bill and, analyze it according to the guidelines of the Constitution of the United States.
•I will be subject to, and I will make sure every law passed requires Congress to be subject to the same laws and privileges as every citizen of the United States.
•I will directly respond to and communicate with my constituents.
•I will voluntarily term limit myself – no more than two terms.
•I will not support any pay raises for myself, and will fight to undo the current system of automatic pay increases for legislators.
•I will cut my salary (by filing legislation if necessary) and my budget by 15 percent.
•I will sponsor and fight for legislation that eliminates legislator’s pensions.
•I will ask for a job evaluation from the voters each year I serve.


Steelman signed postcards with her commitments printed on them, leaving a space for the individual who collected the card to sign as well. She wants the voters to know that she is very serious about changing the way business is done in Washington D.C. Steelman said, “Signing this card expresses my commitment to each individual, that I am going to work as hard as I possibly can for each and every one of them. Business as usual in Washington DC is over.”

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I bet she would sign the Nordquist pledge and be committed to him instead of the constitution and the Missouri voters.

Anonymous said...

I found candidate Todd Akin's comment at the same event quite interesting as well.

(http://www.neoshodailynews.com/features/x1234473367/Long-We-need-your-help)

Congressman Akin remarked, "“It is hard to get anything through the Senate and we’ve got to start with the project that God gave us, to take Claire McCaskill out."

I have written to the Aking asking for clarification.

First, was he quoted correctly, and does he believe that McCaskill's defeat--and by extension, his candidacy--to be ordered by God? Second, does he consider the phrase, "take (her) out," appropriate language for a candidate for the U.S. Senate?

I await his response.

Anonymous said...

Oh is Sarah going to be "Read My Lips Steelman"?

Reduce their salary, no way will they do that. Eliminate their retirement...no way.

All hot air, but it sounds good to the average Missouri voter that is deaf and dumb.