(From the Missouri Department of Transportation)
Weather: Snow or a mix of snow/sleet is predicted to begin at about 12 a.m. Monday along the western edge of Missouri. The weather system is supposed to move gradually toward the east. Much of the southwest quarter of the state is expected to have snow and/or ice falling by daylight. The storm is expected to continue through the day on Monday.
Road conditions: Roads are expected to become snow or ice covered beginning in the early morning hours of Monday. Below-freezing temperatures Saturday and Sunday will mean the pavement will be cold, causing moisture to freeze. Driving is expected to be difficult during morning rush hour on Monday.
MoDOT's Plan: MoDOT crews are reporting to work late Sunday evening and will be ready to spread salt and plow where necessary as snow and sleet develop. Crews will be on the road throughout the entire region, including state roadways in the Springfield and Joplin metro areas. More trucks are assigned to the busiest roads. However, crews will run lesser-traveled roads and will treat hills, curves and intersections. The MoDOT Emergency Operations Center will open as weather deteriorates and staff will post road conditions on MoDOT's Traveler Information Map at modot.org.
Driving tips: Get up early, check weather reports and visit MoDOT's Traveler Information Map. MoDOT crews will be working to keep roads driveable, but most roads will be covered or mostly covered with snow or ice as long as the precipitation is falling.
Drivers can expect a longer-than-normal commute Monday morning:
* Leave early for work or school.
* Drive slowly and carefully. Be prepared for completely covered roads or at least many slick areas, including bridge floors.
* Leave plenty of following distance behind the vehicle in front of you
* Avoid sudden turns and hard braking so you can keep your vehicle under control in slick conditions.
* Be cautious even in a four-wheel drive vehicle. It can slide off the road as easily as any vehicle.
Traveler Information: Check the following for information about conditions on state roads:
* Traveler Information Map -- modot.org
* Twitter -- twitter.com/MoDOT_Southwest
* Facebook -- facebook.com/MoDOT.Southwest
* Call -- 1.888.275.6636