Monday, August 13, 2012

Tilley steps down; Shane Schoeller is new Speaker of the House

(From the Missouri House of Representatives)

House Speaker Steven Tilley announced today that he will resign the office of Speaker and his position as a member of the Missouri House of Representatives. Tilley’s resignation will be effective as of 11:59 p.m. Monday, Aug. 13.

Tilley stated his optometry practice, working on campaigns and spending time with his two daughters as the key factors in his decision.

“Over the past eight years I sometimes put the interest of the caucus and the House ahead of my family,” Tilley said. “My decision to resign early is one I made with my daughters and that puts my family first”

Tilley will continue his optometry practice in Perryville and will remain active in politics and public policy.

Pursuant to House Rules, Speaker Pro Tem Shane Schoeller, R-Willard, will carry out the duties of the Speaker’s office until such time as House members elect a new Speaker.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Speaker Tilley will be remembered by most Missourians for only one thing and it has something to do with a non-stop talker who hasn't lived in the Show Me State for years. For him, it was all about that bust at the Capitol. What a shame! These days my outlook on Missouri politics is pretty poor. Guess I need to see an optometrist.