The Democratic runoff election between Rep. Stacey Newman, a solid supporter of public school teachers and Rep. Susan Carlson is set for Monday. If you remember, the vote became necessary after a primary election in which Ms. Newman won by one vote. Ms. Carlson challenged the outcome. The following news release comes from the Newman campaign.
Newly sworn in House Speaker Tim Jones promised last week to lead an attack on
Missouri teachers as one of his 2013 legislative priorities. Jones, a Tea Party Republican,
believes that all educational woes can be attributed to teachers, regardless of poverty,
hunger, homelessness or other challenges our kids face today. This is no joke.
I was honored to join Local 420's Byron Clemens, Rep. Genise Montecillo
and National AFT President, Randi Weingarten yesterday for a
Pro-Teacher AFL-CIO Rally.
WE NEED MORE "PRO-TEACHER" LEGISLATORS, NOT LESS
- I am a former speech and theatre teacher and taught pre-K through high school. I come from a family of public school teachers and every member of my family has attended public schools.
- The past 3 years I have worked closely with my superintendents, school board members and parents on the "Turner Fix" which would have greatly impacted Brentwood, Clayton, Ladue, Maplewood-Richmond Heights and University City schools.
- I regularly visit 4th grade classes throughout the district before they come tour the Capitol and teach "Mock Legislative Speed Rounds" in their classrooms.
- As a retired union member myself, I stand in SOLIDARITY with AFL-CIO in support of our teachers.
- I AM THE ONLY CANDIDATE IN THIS RACE WITH A 100% MISSOURI PROGRESSIVE VOTE COALITION RATING ON PUBLIC EDUCATION. www.missouriprovote.org
SHE TOOK MONEY FROM STUDENTS FIRST, AN ANTI-TEACHER PAC.
Students First supports anti-teacher union campaigns around the country and has ties to
ALEC, the ultra-conservative American Legislative Exchange Council. The Missouri State
Teachers Association says Students First "anti-public school reforms are not welcome in
Missouri". www.msta.org., www.moethics.org
MISSOURI ETHICS COMMITTEE: FRIENDS OF SUSAN CARLSON
SHE VOTED YES ON HB473 IN 2011. Expanding charter school sponsorship to
private organizations and individuals with NO state accountability - would have resulted in
further reductions in funding for public school districts. MIssouri ProVote says WRONG!
RE-ELECT REP. STACEY NEWMAN - FOR US & OUR KIDS
"I've known Stacey for many years. As a teacher who retired from Captain Elementary School
after a 30 year career in the classroom, I know full well the struggles educators face. Lack of
funding and our children's various family situations often make it tough to have ideal learning
happen in schools. We desperately need Stacey re-elected. She stands up to those who
want to hurt, not help, teachers. Please vote for her Monday, September 24th."
Mrs. Lee Rosen Scissors
Beloved 4th grade teacher
"State Rep. Stacey Newman works tirelessly, not only for our rights that are in jeopardy but for
students and teachers too. After serving on the University City School Board for 24 years, I am
honored my work continues on via the Lieberman Learning Center. I know something about
educating kids. I trust her as a legislator implicitly and stand with Stacey."
Longtime University City citizen