|MoDOT/Southwest: Winter Travel Advisory for Mid-Day Thursday, February 21|
|Weather/Road conditions improving from west to east across southwest Missouri.|
Weather Conditions: Light freezing rain, sleet and snow is tapering off from west to east across Southwest Missouri. However, there is still moisture in the air and temperatures are below freezing. Freezing drizzle is forecasted for late this afternoon into the evening hours. Wind gusts of up to 30 mph are occurring at times.
Travel Conditions: Conditions on I-44 and Route 60 in the Joplin/Neosho areas are improving. However, most major routes throughout much of the Missouri remain partly to mostly covered with a mixture of ice and slush.
Road Clearing: MoDOT crews will continue to focus road-clearing efforts on the major routes. Once major routes are in good condition, crews will move to lesser traveled routes. Crews will treat curves, hills and intersections on lesser traveled routes with a mixture of gravel and salt to improve traction.
Icy Weather Driving Tips:
* Buckle up.
* Adjust your speed to conditions.
* Stay at least 100 feet behind a truck plowing/salting the road.
* Keep your windshield and other windows clear to help you see.
* Be alert for road conditions that may change as you drive.
* Do NOT drive over downed utility lines. Assume every downed line is a fully-charged electric line.
* Don't tailgate.
* Focus on driving and avoid distractions.
* Allow for extra travel time if you must travel.
Thursday, February 21, 2013
Updated winter travel advisory issued
(From the Missouri Department of Transportation)