Sunday, April 21, 2013

Hoskins: Why I voted against bill to eliminate teacher tenure

In his weekly report, Rep. Denny Hoskins, R-Warrensburg, tells constituents why he voted against a bill that would have eliminated teacher tenure.

A number of constituents have contacted me to voice their opinions about HB 631 which pertains to teacher’s tenure and job evaluations.

 It is also my understanding that constituents have been receiving misleading phone calls about what issue the bill actually deals with. This bill would have removed control of teacher evaluations and tenure status from local elected school boards.

I feel those closer to the school and teachers will better know what is in their best interest. For that reason I voted in opposition to the bill. The bill failed to pass out of the House with a vote of 102 Noes and 55 Ayes.

No comments: