Monday, April 08, 2013

Reviews in for Scars from the Tornado

I just came across a couple of reviews that have come in for the new book, Scars from the Tornado: One Year at Joplin East Middle School and thought I would share them:

From Jason Robertson:

Not my typical book but as a Joplin Tornado survivor I was interested. As someone who had a home damaged by the tornado and works on the government side of the Tornado recovery I thought I had a good grasp of the impact of the Tornado but after reading about the impacts to the pre-teens and their educators I discovered a had a lot more to learn. I think this book is excellent if you want to get a better idea of how natural disasters impacts adolescents and their education system.

From Michael Donohue:

It was an interesting look at how the city of Joplin began to rebuild after the devastating tornado in May of 2011. being a teacher Randy Turner was able to see the recovery process in the city's most vulnerable, the children.

Both reviewers gave it four stars out of five.

The following reviews are on Amazon's Scars from the Tornado page:

From Kimberly Dorris:

I really enjoyed Mr. Turner's newest book sharing stories from the students at East Middle school. My daughter was also one of Mr Turner's students and we lost our home in the tornado as well. All of us share similar stories, but here he has brought those stories together and shown the true spirit of our hometown: Strength. Thank you, Mr Turner, for being an awesome teacher, that made such a difference in my daughter's life. (5 Stars)

From FearthePenguin:

I honestly haven't read this book yet, but I'm buying it just because this Martin Luther Dzerzhinsky Lindstedt nutbag doesn't like it. I guess any publicity is good publicity after all.
EDIT
OK, NOW I've read the book. This is a collection of essays, poems and pictures from mostly middle school students who have been impacted by the Joplin tornado. As a chaser, we often see the immediate aftermath, but not the long term impacts of tornadoes, so the promise of that perspective is what drew me to this book. I wasn't disappointed. The writing is what you would expect from most middle school aged kids and the stories told in that young voice are very touching. (5 stars)


From Smart Shopper:

I liked the book but wish it was more detailed in the subject of of the citizens how the tornados affected them (3 stars)

From Dixie1954:

I don't live that far from Joplin and even have pictures of the clouds from the storm that passed over us after the devastation. At the time I took the pictures I was not aware of the destruction that happened just West of where I live. Every time I look at them I can see the horrible destruction that happened and the lives that were lost. My daughter even went to Joplin and volunteered and that made me feel better that so many people showed up to help. If I wasn't disabled I would have helped too. I love the stories in the book and still pray for the families that have lost so much! (5 stars)

From J Garringer:

This is a really good example, not only of how a teacher can have students work together to learn something, but as each of these writer's shared their memories, they healed a bit and they can show us how. (4 stars)

From Kim Hartgrave Donahue:

Randy Turner has a unique look of the year following the devastating tornado that killed 160 people in May of 2011. He saw it along with his students. Living in this area we can't afford the physical damage that it caused, but this goes much deeper. He does that there is a human element that cannot be shown in the photos that are taken. (4 stars)

From Ifrebcg:

Thanks so much for posting this e-book.
The book is a record of the history of the F-5 tornado that wrecked havoc and destruction on our community. The book contains many essays and poems by our young people. It reflects the horror of the tornado and the devastation hailed upon lives and property. But more importantly the feelings and emotions expressed through the children and their teacher reflects the same feelings and emotions the entire community felt. They expressed the initial shock of the loss, the healing, and the moving forward with the hope. I call it the hurt, the horror, and the hope. After the initial hurt and horror we have moved forward with hope. So thankful that our children have taken the time to remind us that we have survived and have much to be thankful for.
Thanks again. And yes I did download this from Amazon and read it last week. (5 stars)


The book has received one bad review and normally, I would print that also, but considering the source (Martin Lindstedt, who gave it one star), I will spare Turner Report readers. Lindstedt not only attacks everyone in sight, as usual, but he calls the Joplin Tornado a hoax and goes on for paragraphs about how I am trying to turn students into mindless drones.

Scars from the Tornado can be purchased from the link at the upper right hand side of this page, and is available in the Joplin area at Changing Hands Book Shoppe and Always Buying Books in Joplin, Pat's Books in Carthage, Already Read Books in Granby, the Lamar Democrat in Lamar, and Ozark Home and Hearth in Carl Junction.

No comments: