Friday, September 06, 2013

Cleaver town hall meeting on Syria well attended

In his latest EC from DC, Fifth District Congressman Emanuel Cleaver writes about the town hall meeting he held this week concerning potential U. S. involvement in Syria.
Congressman Cleaver begins the town hall by welcoming the huge crowd and thanking constituents for attending

I recently held a town hall regarding the issue of Syria. What should we do there? What should we not do? It is extremely important to me to hear the thoughts and concerns of my constituents in Missouri’s Fifth District – to really listen to what you have to say. That was my sole purpose in holding the town hall and I appreciate all who came. We had a standing room only crowd and everyone, as far as I know, who wanted to speak, got the opportunity to do so.

A large crowd lined up to share thoughts and opinions with Congressman Cleaver regarding Syria

I also appreciate everyone who has reached out through email, social media, and by calling my office to share your opinions. I believe it is not only the responsibility, but the true privilege of those of us in elected office, to be in close communication with the people we represent. It is truly one of the most important decisions we, as a country, make – when deciding upon military action. 

I applaud the President for his decision to come to Congress for approval on what should be done in Syria. I am a strong proponent of enforcement of the War Powers Act and believe he is doing the right thing by seeking a vote by Members of the House of Representatives and the Senate. The opinions expressed, on both sides of this issue, during the town hall were informative, heartfelt, and obviously very emotional. It might interest you to know that members of the media covering the town hall, who came to Missouri’s Fifth District from other parts of the country and the world, told me how impressed they were with the respectful nature in which the crowd treated those with differing opinions. I explained that courtesy is one of the many wonderful qualities of the people in Missouri’s Fifth District

No comments: